Thursday, January 26, 2012

Little Decision Time

I think we're going to be pulling the plug on The Little Gym soon. I'm just trying to decide if we stay for the winter months or not.
Ugh. I'm sad to think about this since TLG has become a very familiar and welcoming place. I'm going to miss the instructors and the families we've been with for months. There is also the fact that Sadie screams and claps as soon as she realizes we're going there. She loves it. I love it too. I look forward to it every week and at one point wanted to add a second class!
So, why am I pulling her out?
I'm no longer trusting their philosophy of letting the children explore without limits. Sadie can't handle it. The idea is to let the children do what they wish as long as the parent participates and the result for us has been Sadie thinking she can do whatever the **** she wants EVERYWHERE we go.
My mom has been complaining about this for a while now but it took a TLG kid tearing up Sadie's music class last weekend for me to finally buy into the idea. The two kids in the class that were causing a ruckus were TLG members. Uh oh.
Then, at our last TLG class, Sadie didn't seem interested in participating in anything. All she wanted to do was do what SHE wanted to do. We'd been having such a good run too. It's been months since I'd last wanted to pull my hair out in frustration.
So I think it's time. We need to start preparing Sadie for school in a year and a half. She needs to learn to listen and follow instruction. She needs programs that expect this of her.
I think we'll *all* be getting memberships to the YMCA with the $95/month I'll be freeing up (yes, it's THAT expensive for a 45 min class once a week!).






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

  1. I think it's partly age too. But also, I think kids who are used to daycare are used to that kind of scenario where they need to listen in a group. Did you ever sign her up for pre-school or anything like that?

    She'll learn at school easily enough because she won't have you guys there. They'll teach her to follow along. She just turned 2, right? So give it a bit of time. Jackson is now at an easier age for sitting still or following directions. You'll probably see a bit of a change around 2.5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. We didn't join Gymboree because it was too structured for Riley when she was small and it cost a small fortune. Try looking at your community centre programs--affordable and fun. Although I find the younger kid things are always during the week days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadie sounds busy but I think it's probably an age thing too. 2 is a really frustrating age. This morning I lost my cool when Ian climbed into the very back of the van and refused to get out. They just don't listen. They're trying to figure out what they can get away with, what's okay and what's not.

    Also, Erik is a pretty easygoing kid but when he was 2.5 we signed him up for gymnastics. It was very structured and it was a NIGHTMARE. He couldn't handle not being able to do what he wanted. All of that exciting equipment and he wasn't allowed to use it and he was too young to understand. And he was a kid who went to daycare every day and was used to having to listen. It was really, really hard. So my advice would be to join something that's fun but not TOO structured. A bit of structure is good, but too much is, well, too much. They're much too young to understand. I do think it's good to get her out with other kids. Stacey mentioned pre-school which is a great idea. Erik went to pre-school and it was really good for him. He had fun out on his own without us and kids tend to listen better when you're not there.

    Don't stress too much about school. I know how you feel because Erik was a December baby and went young too, and we were very stressed, feeling the need to make sure he was in some type of environment similar to school, worrying he wouldn't be toilet trained in time, etc. But in the end he was totally fine. His teacher said the 3 year olds do well because they are determined to keep up with the older kids in the class. She will just see that the other kids are sitting and listening and she'll do the same. I do think that putting him in pre-school (plus he was in daycare) really helped because he was used to being in a classroom setting, so as far as being used to going somewhere without us, it was good. But I do think he would have been fine either way, just might have been a harder adjustment at first. They surprise you with what they can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm probably jumping on the bandwagon to blame the little gym but we are in other programs where the kids are required to sit in a circle. Sadie won't do it when the others will and at the little gym she isn't asked to. I worry that she's learning she doesn't have to listen because of that, KWIM? ALTHOUGH a parent told me that the new play based curriculum in schools is a lot like TLG philosphy. I find that hard to believe though.
    Re: Preschool. Technically she's still too young. The "true" pre-school programs (ie. not daycare) start at 2.5 which means she wont qualify until the fall semester. We have her waitlisted at a Daycare for part time with a small possiblity she'll be able to get in there now if she fits into the formula for what is allowed, otherwise we have to wait until 2.5.
    So far Sadie hasn't really been THAT much more difficult since she's been 2. I think she's actually improved behaviour wise in a lot of ways. The only notible difference is how shrill her scream has become. O. M. G. she's loud now!!

    ReplyDelete