Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Speech Assessment

We have the results from Sadie' speech assessment and have met to
discuss "next steps". The report basically indicated that she has
mild delays in the area of expressive language development and
significant delays in the areas of motor speech and articulation. She
was also assessed as having "limited jaw and independent tongue
movement" as well as "Significant drooling and open mouth
posture".

I'm a bit stressed out by the service recommendation we were given
because it wasn't what we had expected at all. We've been booked
into 10 hours of "parent only" workshops which are during weekday
mornings. Ideally we had wanted my mother to go to whatever sessions
were scheduled because she spends the most waking hours with Sadie.
Now that we know Sadie cannot attend we need at minimum two of us
available for each of the 2 hour appointments and this does not
include two 1 hour appointments with Sadie to practice what we have
learned. 12 hours. It looks like I'm going to need to work with my
manager on a flexible schedule to accommodate this or we're going to
have to pass on it. Wouldn't that suck since we waited 6 months to
get into the program? There is also the issue that I would still like
my mother to attend since she is more receptive when she hears it
"straight from the horse's mouth". Of course that would mean D
taking mornings off work as well which would be enormously unfair for
her to be taking care of Sadie while my mom and I went. I just don't
know what to do about this. I assumed the appointments would be during
the day but I hadn't even considered they wouldn't include Sadie.

The entire process has been stressful. Even getting to the appointment
yesterday was stressful. The initially letter we had received had
"threatened" that if we missed 2 appointments without giving 48
hours notice to cancel we'd be booted out of the program. Sadie was
sick with a cold/fever all night and I didn't know what to do.
Ultimately I was going to leave her at home and go without her but
then she had a burst of energy and her fever was under control. We
took her and she ended up sleeping all sweaty in my arms for most of
the hour. Thankyouverymuch for making me feel like I had to bring my
sick child for fear of losing our space.

I guess at this point I should be looking at private therapists
because THIS is what you get for free in Ontario.

6 comments:

  1. Your work should be understanding. It does sound difficult to figure out how you're going to make it work. Can you guys not work around the appointments? Stay later? Are they first thing in the morning? I mean, we had our 27 hours of adoption training which required me leaving early every day for the course...your work should understand. It sounds like it would be good for Sadie. Unfortunately it sometimes feels like it's impossible to juggle work and parenting. I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's tough. Is it possible for you and D to take turns missing work for it so that it doesn't have as much of an impact on both of your jobs? Do they have early appointments, like at 8 am, so you'd be late for work but that would take less time out of your day than having to leave work in the middle of the day. I know this would mean your mom probably wouldn't be going to the appointments which isn't ideal but hopefully she would understand that she has to do what you've learned for Sadie's benefit.

    And yes, I agree with Stacey that your work should be understanding. Kim often takes vacation hours to go to doctor's appointments or to stay home if one of the kids is sick, but her work doesn't give her any trouble about having to be out even when it's unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I just had a good idea. Maybe we should send my mom and D and I will take turns watching Sadie? That way we won't even need to worry about the 2 parent/child sessions and would just be splitting the 5 parent only classes. I think that it should be the same person who goes for consitancy.
    Unfortunately the class is 9:30-11:30 so it takes up the ENTIRE morning. Plus it's further west than where we live so the commute back into Toronto needs to be considered. Bah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, that does sound stressful. Hope you figure out a better plan, but glad she's going to get some help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The evaluation process and subsequent services ARE HARD! We feel like we have been on a 5 month roller coaster and have considered private therapists as well. I am working up to do a 3 part blog post on the whole experience, 3 part because there is just so much that goes into it :( Wishing you the best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I can't believe they would have only one option in the middle of the day! People have to work. That's crazy.

    ReplyDelete