But first, I forgot a big part of Sadie's birthday when I wrote about it yesterday.
On her birthday we did more than eat cupcakes and open presents. We took her to Fantasy Fair, an indoor amusement park for children that is located in West Toronto. We hadn't been in a long time and were somewhat blindly hoping it was still a great place (the mall it is in is GHETTO). It was awesome and Sadie loved it! For only $30 we got an "all day" pass for Sadie and I. She measured in at 36"* on the dot which meant she wasn't able to go on a few of the rides but she had fun anyway. Her favourite was probably the train ride. It goes all around the "park" and even crosses pedestrian paths. This was really neat because "ding ding ding" the railroad crossing would go down as we approached. The train went through a tunnel (twice) and over water! Really, could anything have been more fun for our "choo choo" loving toddler? We also went on spinning rides that made me feel OLD because I really thought I was going to be sick and the carousel. We had such a great time.
On to the "intervention".
We have been having an awful time with sleep issues lately. If anyone is wondering, our transition to Sadie's big bed was a failure after only 4 nights. I couldn't handle her crying for me. It got so bad that even when I did pull her into bed with me I couldn't calm her down.
Anyway, Sadie's latest thing is to wake up around 1:00 am and then REFUSE to go back to sleep. We have tried everything with her and I have even tossed her the ipad and fallen back asleep. Not a great parenting moment on my part! I woke up at 4:00 am to find her glossy eyed staring at an episode of The Backyardigans.
Last night seemed to be a breaking point. D had joined us in the "big bed" only to notice that my snoring was waking Sadie up over and over. She ganged up with my mom and both said that Sadie couldn't sleep with me anymore and that co-sleeping was over.
My mom took Sadie and sent me back to bed (this was 2:40 AM). She got her to sleep in her bed at some point after that and whe I woke up this morning I was told "That's it, the transition has taken place".
I guess Sadie can no longer sleep through my snoring.
I don't know what the next few nights will bring. I'm a bit worried. I am picturing Sadie wandering through the house unsupervised in the middle of the night and we don't even have a working bathroom door (long story but the bathroom IS getting reno'd in February). I'm going to need to figure out a good baby gate solution.
Crap.
____
* We were super excited that Sadie measured in at 36 inches. 40 inches is a magic number for WDW next fall and we're hoping that over the next 8.5 months she grows the 4 inches needed to go on more rides. At the very least she has cleared the "kiddy slide" height for Great Wold Lodge (35") so we have booked a trip for March!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
I think it's great that your mom helped get her into her own bed in the middle of the night. That might be all she needs is someone else besides you trying to put her to bed. Is your mom willing to continue to do this for a week or two or however long it takes to get her sleeping in her own bed all night? Sometimes they just listen better to someone who doesn't normally put them to bed.
ReplyDeletePlease post more about your big bed issues. My son (25 months) is in a toddler bed and sleeps fine in it, but wakes up and comes into our room at night. We escort him back to bed but if we leave him too early, he will cry for us. I guess he wants our presence. We would like to attempt out own intervention, but want to wait until he is not sick with a cold. I feel so bad at night when he coughs and sniffs himself to sleep, ya know? If you have any methods that are successful, please blog! :) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the sleep situation is resolved and awesome that your mom could help out so you could get sleep for the work day.
ReplyDeleteIt is better to clear the kiddie slide height. I remember going with Riley who was too short. They let her ride all day and then switched shifts and suddenly wouldn't let her ride. It was awful. There isn't much for a little kid to do if they can't do those slides...just splash areas and a wave pool.
I'll post how things are going tomorrow because tonight is going to be the real treat. (;
ReplyDeleteStacey - I remember when that happened to Riley and specifically checked the height restrictions because of it. Apparently they are now measuring the kids as you enter and giving them a wrist band. It seems like they may be a bit more organized now which is a good thing because your experience was very unfair for Riley.
I've actually heard that Disney is subjective on heights becuase the signs are sometimes on slopping ground. Therefore a kid could ride a ride and then not get on the next time. Sucks.