Wednesday, December 9, 2009

December 9th

37 weeks today. I can’t believe we’re already at full term! Time is going by so quickly and I can't wait to meet Sadie!!!!
I had my 37 week appointment yesterday and I was stuck with a med student and a doctor that was probably one day out of med school himself. My doctor is currently vacationing in the Bahamas but will be back Monday. Overall this was the least reassuring appointment I’ve had to date. Doogie Howser said he wanted me back Monday morning instead of my booked Tuesday afternoon appointment because he wanted my BP checked sooner rather than later. It was high @ (144/??). I’m fairly certain that my Doctor would have been ok with that. Yes, it’s higher than it has been and it is over my goal of being under 140 but it’s not THAT high, is it? Maybe I should have mentioned that 20 minutes earlier I was sound asleep, snug as a bug in bed, only to be ripped from my cocoon and thrown in a cab for the appointment. I was also trying to fill out the registration forms they gave me last week that I was told to fill out and I chose not to but was told I had to… all of a sudden people are looking at me like I’m ready to pop or something!!!!!
Meanwhile his side kick the med student couldn’t find a heartbeat. Surprisingly I was NOT freaking out. He added more gel, took away gel, felt for the baby’s position again and then FINALLY got it. So yeah, fun appointment – just what I needed!!
I’d like to be in the Bahamas too.
As for today, it is my surprise baby shower at work. I know about it because I made a big deal on Monday about working from home due to the snow storm that was predicted and we are (sort of) having. I took the subway to work to be here since D wouldn’t let me drive. Apparently a few people had predicted I may not make it in so I was pretty much told to be here!
I’ll have to post again later to share the details and I wish I could take pictures but I think people would be suspicious if I came with my camera!
**Thank you to D for keeping my daily blogging on track when I was just too tired yesterday! And happy 54th bday to my dad!

6 comments:

  1. Yay 37 weeks! We made it! Have fun at your work shower. Mine was also supposed to be a surprise but DW told me about it because I wasn't planning to go into the office that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students can freak you out because they don't know what they're doing. I'm sure your BP is fine but no worries, it's not high enough that they want you back tomorrow, right?

    I did the same thing...wanted to work from home for the rest of my time at work and they insisted that I come in. I was all pissed off but it was for a gift and cake. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. We actually liked the times we had student doctors because they were way more thorough and explained more stuff to us than our OB who was so rushed all the time. :)

    Your blood pressure may have been high because you were also a bit stressed about having different doctors than usual. At the end they like to be really careful with blood pressure, I think. Kim's went way up a few weeks before her due date with Erik and at our last appointment on our due date, he sent us right to the hospital to be induced because of high BP. So it's probably good that they're watching it even though it certainly doesn't seem like anything to worry about.

    At two appointments our OB couldn't find the baby's heartbeat. It took forever for him to find it but it was because of the baby's position at the time. It freaked me out but Kim was calm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon - I have to agree that having the students there make the appointment better. Normally it's great when my doctor is there becuase I get extra attention. Unfortunately yesterday's doctor and med student combo were a bit too green for my liking! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also... I think my BP is OK.. not worrying. Stacey, you're right about not being asked back for tomorrow or something earlier. Again I think it is somewhat the doctor being a newbie.

    Good news is that I work from home on Monday which is a essentially a 3 day weekend for me!!

    ReplyDelete