Friday, December 4, 2009

December 4th

Last night I had an evening to myself. That doesn't happen very often because D and I are one of those annoying couples that travel everywhere as a pair. She was at her work Christmas dinner (spouses not invited) so I was left to fend for myself. I wish I could say I had made good use of this time but in reality I spent most of it online. I also had a long discussion with my dad over the phone. I wanted to know what my brother wanted for Christmas. Normally I spoil the snot out of him but this year we're trying to be more conservative so I thought I'd find out one really important thing I could get. It sounds like it may be a portable weather station. Odd, I know, but my brother is quirky just like I am. My dad said his big present from them is a bass guitar. He asked what I wanted and I had no answer. There really isn't anything we wanted other than the camera (which we bought for ourselves).
I ended up calling in sick/work from home today after another bad night/morning with "morning sickness". I'm not sure why I feel so awful. I also feel like I'm proving my manager right and I should be off already but I'm not going to back down!!!! I'm at about 90% right now. Just tired. I may have another nap although surprisingly I've been kept busy (by work) this afternoon. I also called every pediatrician I could (list given by OB) to find one to take us for our 48 hour after birth newborn appointment. Do you think ONE office picked up their phone? They all seem to be screening calls due to H1N1!!! So I left messages - some for a second time since I'd already tried a couple of weeks ago on my own. I expect that no one will call me back just like last time! Very similar experience when trying to find a daycare.
In the end I called my GP's office and asked if they'd take us in for the appointment. My doctor (who is also pregnant) is on vacation from December 21-January 4th. Great help for my December 30th due date!! Oh, and she herself is due at the end of January and they're not sure when she's leaving. Great!! I was pretty much assured that no matter what they would accommodate me with any available doctor and that yes they would perform the 48 hour appointment. I'm feeling much better now and I'm considering this off my list of things to worry about. It was refreshing to speak to a HUMAN and not an answering machine! Our GP office has never let either of us down in the past (except when the messed up my first trimester blood work) so I really need to TRUST that they'll take care of us this time too. Too bad they do not have a daycare as well!! If for some reason I cannot get an appointment I will let the hospital/L&D know.
It certainly isn't easy for parents, is it? Will it always be like this? Will I have to send my kid to school in another city because our Kindergarten will be full too????
ETA: OMG SOMEONE CALLED ME BACK!! SAME DAY!
We have a pediatrician!!! OMG OMG OMG!!! And this one is actually close to us and a doctor that had good reviews on RateMDS!!! The phone call came in as I published this post!

2 comments:

  1. Doctors and schools are tough. Good luck! Glad the ped called you back!

    For Christmas why don't you ask for gift cards for restaurants? You could use them when the baby is here so it saves you cooking some meals. Those are always good gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. you're not working too late. i worked til the due date for jackson and ended a bit early because riley worked (planned to 39 weeks) at my last job.

    ReplyDelete