Monday, December 14, 2009

December 14th

I missed blogging yesterday. Oops! I was too tired and my priority was watching the season finale of Dexter. It was worth it. In my opinion this was the best season of Dexter since season 1 when they were still following the book!! So good!!
Anyway...
I had my 38 week appointment today and much to my surprise I have been booked for an induction. I'm not happy about this at all. Everything I'd been planning up until now has been to avoid intervention. I wanted things to happen on their own time. I had even thought that my BP was under control!!
My doctor basically said that due to my chronic hypertension they wouldn't want me to go past my EDD. Honestly, I wish he'd mentioned this SEVERAL weeks ago. It's not like I've acquired this condition recently. My BP was out of whack again today with an extremely high Diastolic pressure so it really was hard to argue their reasoning... HOWEVER... it was only yesterday that our doula had commented to be careful because she'd noticed OB's like to schedule inductions over the holidays. That bit of advice did make me very skeptical of their motives.
I turned down their first date of December 23rd and I bought myself another week to hopefully go into labour on my own. That said, our date is December 28th. We'll be having an '09 baby after all!
We've decided we're NOT telling people IRL that I will be induced. A small part of me hopes that I still go naturally so I feel there is no need to set expectations for that date. I also do not want to have an audience. The absolute LAST thing I want is my MIL showing up on December 27th with an overnight bag. No. Thank. You.
The plan will be to find out my time to go in that morning, go in for the induction and then wait for my next instructions. I may still be going home to labour so I do not want family getting in the way (I strongly feel this should be private between D & I). We'll call when it's either time to go to the hosptial or if I'm held at the hosptital, when I'm in active labour.
I hope I'm not being selfish holding back this information but I don't understand why anyone would want to sit in a hospital waiting room for hours on end when they're not a support person. I feel like I'll be doing them a favour by decreasing their wait time! Don't you think? Also, isn't it exciting to find out someone is in labour? I feel like the birth will be less exciting if people know in advance!!
In other news, today is my mothers birthday. I've tried calling about 5 times already at various points throughout the day (starting in the early morning). I'm not sure where she is or if she has her phone off the hook but I'll try until I reach her. If not, you can't say I didn't try! As for what I'm going to say to her other than "happy birthday", I'm not sure about that yet. Wish me luck! I hope she's in a good mood!!

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the birth may not be as you'd wanted it. But, if you are induced and have your baby on December 29th, Sadie will have the same birthday as Erik. :) Kim was induced on December 28th three years ago.

    We felt the same way about people being at the hospital. Kim made a note in her birth plan that no one else was allowed in the room except me unless she asked for them. Our parents still sat in the waiting room for hours waiting for Erik but we mostly ignored them. :) With Ian, he came so fast they barely made it after I called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that they're forcing induction on you. Not cool, and not right.

    But... total assvice alert... if you DO have a 2009 baby and can get your second-parent adoption underway within 2009, you may be able to write off the entire cost of the second-parent adoption for 2009, plus take the federal child tax credit. (Not sure what state you're in or what your second-parent adoption plans look like, but just as an example, this would mean an additional $2,500 for my partner and I. We live in Washington State, and have access to fairly simple second-parent adoption in our county.) Don't get me started on all the ways that we get screwed by the tax code as same-sex partners, but second-parent adoption is one big and wonderful way that we win. Okay, assvice over.

    And no, it's not selfish to hold back your pre-labor or induction information. Share what you want when you want to. Nobody is entitled to any information you're not ready to share.

    For my part, I won't tell anyone until I'm in active labor, and have already let the pushy folks know that they can wait in the waiting room as long as they choose, but visiting hours will not commence until at least an hour after the birth (giving our immediate family a relatively quiet bonding hour).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you, Dexter was friggen' AMAZING!! I think I liked it better than the first season.

    I wouldn't tell anyone about the induction either. Fingers crossed you go into labor on your own!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely don't feel bad about keeping details to yourself. It's your pregnancy and you should do whatever is most comfortable for you. I've been pretty vocal about visiting and all that stuff with my family and friends. It's been a tad uncomfortable, but this is our time and we want it the way we want it.

    Hoping you have the birth you dream of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck with your mother!

    hopefully you will go into labour on your own. if you do need to be induced, it's not so bad. i mean the labouring might not be as easy strapped to machines on a bed but in the end, you get your baby. :) but it's a looong wait in the hospital. we also didn't want anyone else around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its both exciting and frustrating to know that the end of pregnancy is so near and you're going to meet Sadie so soon, but at the same time hard that your labor may not go as you planned. You could try some labor induction techniques of your own - walking a lot, acupuncture, lots of nipple stimulation (if you have a pump, that's supposed to be the best!), red raspberry leaf tea... While it may not be ideal, it might be better than pitocin! Either way, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's to things happening in their own due time....before the 28t!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Projectkjetil: There is no need for a 2nd parent adoption in Ontario. Two women are recongnized as legal parents and when the baby is born Jessica will just put D down as the "2nd parent"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your birth will be as good as you make it. If you wind up having to have the induction, own it. It is how it was ment to be. Sadie will come out happy and healhty & so will mama. That is #1 most important. I understand that you wanted to do no inverventions (so do we!)..but sometimes things kinda get off that path. Just know that we are rooting for you girls & Sadie to have a beautiful birth experience no matter which way it goes. December 28th is not such a bad day, That is my little sisters birthday =)

    Everything will be just fine, and I totally don't think its selfish whatsoever to hold out on telling people the day. You said it best, you don't want MIL showing up with an overnight bag. It is such a private moment between Sadie & her mommies, not everyone inbetween. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete