Now, I'm not sure if the following is good, bad or irrelevant news but at my next appointment (32 weeks) I will be having a Biophysical Profile (BBP) done. I've read up on this and it sounds like this ultrasound is normally done late in the 3rd trimester *unless* there is an issue. Hypertension was on the list of potential reasons for an early 3rd tri test so maybe that is it? He wrote on the requisition: "low weight gain", "position'. I haven't gained any new weight (still at 6 lbs total) but he said that was of no concern at all because my measurements are perfect. He also said that he wasn't concerned that Sadie was "frank breech" 2 weeks ago because there's still time for her to move. YET... look at the reasons on the requisition? I'm hoping he is just being cautious (which I appreciate).
I'm on my way to two more appointments today - my therapist and the High Risk specialist. I am so sick of doctors!! I can't imagine how hard this is going to be to maintain once the appointments are weekly! How do you even do it?
Anyway.... In other news, outside of Baby Shower drama,we also had our Prenatal class this past weekend. We had a good time and it certainly got us talking about what we want our birth plan to look like. The Queer Positive class was taught by a Homeopathic Physician & Doula. She was great if not slightly (completely) biased towards natural childbirth as were all of the participants in the class. The group was diverse and included a gay couple using a surrogate, an FTM trans couple carrying their child, and 5 lesbian couples. Aside from the couple using a surrogate, we were the ONLY couple using an OB! The others were all with midwives and all but one were doing home births. Great.
Where does that leave us? Prior to the class I thought I'd likely have an epidural. I wasn't keen on the idea after seeing this demonstration yet people kept telling me how amazing they were and how horrible it was BEFORE getting it. I'm a lot more apprehensive now that I've been flooded with anti-epidural propaganda. We were essentially told that an epidural can lead to a prolonged second stage of labor, vacuum extraction and/or forceps, an episiotomy and a c-section. Of course, since we're laboring in a hospital with an OB we'll likely be "pressured into those interventions" sooner than with a midwife . Needless to say I do not want a c-section but more specifically I really do not want a c-section after a 25 hour "failure to progress" labor. That would suck. A lot. Doula 911 - we need her now more than ever!
Aside from being confused we did learn a lot and we also met a lot of great people. Overall it was a good idea to take the class. I'm now really looking forward to the hospital tour. Initially I wasn't going to go on one since I'd had my time in L&D already however I have a lot of questions I need answered. I also want to see the birthing rooms to find out if showers or birthing tubs are available. I'm also interested in using a birthing chair (if no epidural).
30 weeks.... OMG.... all of sudden it feels like so little time and so much planning to do!!
the class sounds amazing! i left our childbirth class feeling more confused than before i went in also. i've all but abandoned the idea of having a birth plan at this point, im just going to take it as it comes. its so hard to know what you are going to want in advance!
ReplyDeleteThat's how I feel as well. Our birth plan will be vague and likely indicate: Natural... until I want an epidural. lol
ReplyDeleteWow! Time is so flying by. I can't believe how far along you are already. Sounds like a great class, I'm sure you'll find the perfect plan for you.
ReplyDeleteSounds like things are moving fast. Wow - Queer birth class -that's cool!
ReplyDeleteI think the Doula 911 idea makes a lot of sense - from what I have heard having a level headed knowlegable advocate helping you to make decisions and supporting you at what is a really difficult and emotional time is a really good thing to have!
Good luck!
A prenatal class full of glbt people sounds awesome. I wonder if there are any in my neighborhood. How did you go about finding yours? 30 weeks!!! You are in the final stretch.
ReplyDeleteAnswered this on Lisa's blog as well. The class we took was through The 519 Community centre in Toronto - it is queer positive/centric. We are very lucky to have access to their programs.
ReplyDeleteJ, That sounds like a great group. You have done so much research and picked a great care team so it will be nice to be able to have the support to do what YOU want during the whole birth process. Trust yourself and your instincts they won't steer you wrong and keep your mind open to all options and you will have a great birth experience.
ReplyDeleteI gave birth in a hospital with a midwife. I kept things open and made it through 12 hours of labor naturally, and then determined I needed to get an epidural. There was no pressure to get pain meds, or to move to more direct interventions. I was able to use a soaking tub, breathing and positioning to manage the pain for a long time, but I had back labor cause he was "sunny side up" and I got to the point where it wore me out. It was only after an hour of pushing (and 19 hours of labor) that the idea of a c-section was brought up. As it turned out he had his cord wrapped around his neck and his head was too big for my pelvis so he kept pushing down but popping back up as soon as I stopped bearing down we had no progression. I did end up with a c-section but was ok with it and knew that we had done everything we could and it was actually warranted.
Good Luck!! These last weeks are going to be the longest fastest weeks of your life :)
Congrats on hitting 30 weeks! It really does seem to be flying, doesn't it? If you're interested in learning more about natural childbirth (and POSITIVE birth stories, as opposed to scary ones) you might consider reading "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth." Really phenomenal book!
ReplyDelete