Thursday, October 15, 2009

Baby Shower stuff

I'm still here...! I think? The problem is that I can't think and I'm not motivated to do anything, including blogging! WTH is my problem? My usefulness is rapidly decreasing (D would argue I've been useless for a while now). ANYWAY... bulleted post:
  • Baby Shower Part 1 - As I've mentioned before, we have two planned. One will be hosted by our friend in Toronto and the other will take place at my parents house out of town and will be for family. For a while now I've wondered if the family shower was actually going to happen and then last night my step-mom called last night to ask us who we'd like to invite. Thank goodness! I was starting to worry that they'd neglect to ask D for her family contacts. D was worried too! According to my step-mom, before we had any input, she'd already made a list of 30 people to invite!!??? I think she is inviting people I may not know and I'm extremely curious to find out who is going to be there!!! I guess this means that D and I are being accepted to the point where they will flaunt it to their friends. There's no hiding who we are so clearly they're OK with it!
  • Baby Shower Part 2 - Although our friend is hosting, we are helping out... which really translates into me controlling my own Baby Shower because I'm a control freak!! I can't help it. I want the party to be perfect and I want a certain look. It's not about me, really, I want it to be a fun party for our quirky friends.
    That said....D and I went to a party superstore (which was a hellish experience before Halloween) and bought our decorations/plates, etc. We're going with a dark pink and black theme. Probably NOT your typical baby shower colours but our friends will expect nothing less (than odd). I also want THIS cake and no.... I'm not joking. It will be easy to put together because that is clearly a carrot cake from Costco.
In other news I have my first appointment with a therapist regarding my anxiety issues today. I've had a rocky past with therapy because my darkest moods do not come out in public and I generally come across as happy and optimistic. Hopefully I'm able to get into some amount of detail with her and I hope it will help. The therapist I'm going to was referred to me by my "Employee Assistance Program" at work. I get 6 free sessions. So far I'm very pleased with their service since the office I'm going to is literally in the building next door to my condo!! Talk about convenient!
We also have our prenatal classes this weekend and I'm so so so badly dreading them. It's a weekend intensive course and I was excited when I booked them... but now? OMG... how am I going to stay awake? Curious to know if anyone else is planning to go to prenatal?

5 comments:

  1. the showers sound fun! i love the colors you've picked and the cake! :)

    we did a weekend birth class a few weeks ago - it was totally exhausting! my 2 cents is to wear comfy clothes and take snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that cake is very strange. lol. sounds like things are coming together. we threw our own baby shower. :P

    we did a prenatal class over one weekend. it was awesome and we really enjoyed it. taught us some things like they no longer put alcohol on the umbilical cord or prohibit baths (just bathe the kid like normal). it was kind of tiring the second day and we were happy it ended early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake is awesome. I'm sure it'll get a lot of laughs and comments at the shower. I'm a total control freak too and actually just sent my who will throw our party an email about what I want and don't want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay baby showers! We are helping my MiL plan ours so it'll be what we want. It's kind of exhausting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told one of my friends (who is invited) that we were in charge of decorating, etc and she said that is a bit "tacky"! She went on to say that "Lesbians seem to think it is ok to throw their own showers because there are 2 moms and one is not pregnant". WTH?? I disagree. Personally, I think it's more likely that we're prone to being type A control freaks. lol She's a Lesbian btw- but had her kids when married to a man!!

    ReplyDelete