Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Mother - Part 2

So my mother calls tonight and I thought maybe she was calling to say she'd still come down for a visit. Nope! She wanted me to ask my father if he'd help her find a used car. Ha! I told her to find the car she wanted to buy and then I'd ask my father to see if it was a good deal. There is no way he's going to run around looking at cars for her. She'd probably ask him to drive it up to her as well!
She then asks when I'm going to "ship her stuff". Well, I wasn't going to "ship her stuff" because I thought she was driving down to visit. I have had this box of crap that she left at my place since May when she bought way more than she could ever fly back on a plane with. As it was she had to pay $50 per bag because they were so over packed. She suggested I drive-to-Hamilton to give it to my Aunt who lives in Hamilton to give it to my other Aunt who is down visiting - to fly home with. I told my mother that there was way too much stuff for my Aunt to fly with. She then huffed and said "I bought you a TV so you should ship my stuff to me". THAT was the point that I got nasty. I asked her if she bought us the TV or not because she only says that when she wants me to do something for her. Her answer was that "when she's in a pinch she'll ask for the money back". Well she's been in a pinch a few times now because she brings it up every couple of weeks.
I fully know I'm being difficult here but she buys way too much stuff and then leaves it with me to make elaborate plans to get it back to her. Albeit it's been happening a lot less since she never comes down anymore but it's still annoying. Like, do you really need to buy new colanders in Toronto? I'm pretty sure you can buy those anywhere. It's not a good deal when you need to buy new suitcases and pay overweight baggage charges or ship via Greyhound to get the stuff home.
For a long time I thought that the breakdown in our relationship was entirely my fault but I'm starting to see otherwise. My mother has always been like this. When I was a kid and I was so desperate to spend time with her she'd ditch me for just about anything. When I told her we were looking at houses in Hamilton to be closer to family she told me that she would not come down if we lived there because "everything bad that has happened to her has happened there". That's not very nice when you think that I was born and raised there. It goes hand in hand with her warnings to me about not having a kid because it will "ruin your life". I would say she's heartless but she doesn't even notice that she acts like this. She just acts selfishly on a consistent basis. She's a pretty good "over the phone friend" but as far as actually being a "mom" she gave up that role years ago.

2 comments:

  1. My God! I'm sorry your mom is acting so distant and selfish. That just isn't motherly at all. :(

    Glad your cat is doing much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - we're happy he's better too. He's doing really well and is behaving better than he has in ages. I'm hoping it isn't just the pain meds. I'd like to think he appreciates what we've done for him.

    ReplyDelete