Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Clinic!!!!!

Check out all of the exclamation marks lately!!! But everything is so....!!!!

Our appointment went really well today. I wasn't expecting a huge difference during the first appointment but I walked out very happy. The doctor was very nice and seemed like she really knew what she was talking about. Things I like about the clinic:

1) There are only 2 doctors. One handles the IUI patients and the other handles the IVF patients. There are approx. 25 women per day at Cycle monitoring.
2) There is a doctor in the room during your morning ultrasound and they will review your results with you on the spot. This is to ensure plenty of "face time" with the doctor so you can ask any questions.
3) The IUI is guided by ultrasound. They said this is to benefit the patient because you are able to watch the procedure.
4) You are able to e-mail the nurse if you have any questions during your cycle.
5) They monitor your progesterone 1 week after your IUI.
6) They do not ship your sperm back if you do not use it!!! This is great news because it means I can decide during the cycle if I want to do 2 IUI. If I've already ovulated I'm not going to use the second.

So far they seem so much more patient focused. I like that I will get to see a doctor each day during cycle monitoring. This should really ease my hysteria of not knowing what is going on. The doctor reviewed my chart from the old clinic. She said my last cycle was excellent and explained how on day 3 you can predict how fertile you will be for that cycle. She basically said it was the perfect cycle to get pregnant and the only thing she would have done differently was to perform the first IUI on the day of my surge. I think that someone had mentioned this was their RE's protocol as well (Stacey?). Since we had our first IUI the day after my LH surge I was always worried I'd miss ovulation.
I have another appointment at the end of February. Of course that means we're sitting out next month as well. Our first cycle at the new clinic will be in March. I'm staying on Metformin although our new doctor thinks it is not necessary (after reviewing my bloodwork results). She said that since I'm already on it and I have no side effects there was no harm in continuing. We are also considering Letrozole (Femera) as an alternative to Clomid. I mentioned IVF and she said that she didn't think that was necessary at this point but it was an option.
I feel really good about all of the above!!

4 comments:

  1. that is all really good news! glad the appointment went so well and you are feeling confident again, that is *so* important.

    i've never heard of an u/s guided IUI and, quite frankly, i'm jealous! sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of an u/s guided IUI either but it sounds intersting. Of course there is a catch! They only do u/s guided Monday-Friday so I have my FX that my next IUI will be on a weekday. I'd like to check this out even it is just for the "cool factor" of seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great!

    Yes, our RE did the first IUI on the day of the surge when performing 2 IUIs per cycle. But we only did that once and used 1 IUI per cycle which always took place the day after the surge around noon.

    Cool that you can see the IUI through an ultrasound. I guess it's just something fun they like to do to show you what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you had such a great experience. That sounds like a great clinic that you can really feel good about. Good Luck with your next cycle with them. I think just feeling this good about it will help with your success :)

    ReplyDelete