Well, it looks like my mother will not be visiting. I rarely ever take her plans seriously (she does this all the time) however I’d spoken to my Aunt who confirmed my mother was flying down to Toronto with my Uncle. I assumed tickets had been purchased and they were non-refundable. Afraid not…as of last night she’s cancelled those plans. She wants to drive but thinks she’ll come in September because there is a trade show she wants to attend. Ugh. I’m so annoyed/disappointed/angry. My mother has no concept of visiting family.
She also said she really wanted to be in Toronto for the baby being born. That turned sour quickly when I said that we are going to have a crowded waiting room with D’s mom, my dad, my step-mom and likely my brother. I had to say it because I wanted her to understand the situation knowing what her reaction would be. She promptly said she didn’t want to be in a room with my dad/brother/step-mom and quite frankly I’m taking their side, not hers, on this one. My parents (dad/step-mom) and D’s mom are my only family. I’m not going to tell any of them they can’t come because my absentee mother feels uncomfortable around them. She’s going to have to face the facts here: she’s 1 of 3 grandmothers.
Aside from the sting of finding out she’s not visiting she also took a hit at our Doula (calling me pretentious for hiring her) and saying that I probably put a bunch of expensive stuff on my registry and that she’s not going to look at it.
W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R Mom.
I'm sorry for the disappointment, but maybe it's better in the end that she isn't coming. Sounds like she's not a very positive person to be around and who needs negativity at such a happy time? I'm glad you have other family that is supportive. {{{}}}
ReplyDeleteWell, that's crappy. It doesn't sound like she is ever truly supportive so I hope the other 2 grandmother's are more positive. Family, aren't they great!?!?!??!
ReplyDeleteThat totally blows. I'm sorry. It sounds like she is feeling pretty jealous and is not choosing the best way to deal with it.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry she's continues the pattern of letting you down. I'm glad you do have other family members that are there for you.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you know what to expect with your mom, but even so it sucks that you have to go through this at a time when it would be so much better to have everyone's support and not have to pick sides. I really hope she can get her act together in time to be a lucky grandmother!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your kind words... My mother is aloof and has been for years and years. I'm ignoring the fact that she is so negative. That's in her nature. I do try to get along with her and it is disappointing when she pulls this crap but at the same time it is exactly what she does.
ReplyDeleteSIGH.