For fun, I’ve been reading the birth announcements in the classified ads to see trends. I find it hard to go by top 100 lists because they’re all different depending on where you are looking or between countries. One of our names flutters around the top 30 depending on various lists yet we have started to hear it everywhere we go and think it may be very popular.
So far that name hasn’t shown up but many other “popular” names have. The Aidan, Jayden, Cayden trend certainly exists in full force– specifically, Jayden. Also, Lucas is very popular (variations Luca and Luka), Ethan and Trent. For girls, there were a few names that stood out like Addison, Abigail and Ava. Clearly “A” names are hot right now but I think they have been for a while – I have both an Ava and an Abigail in the family. Overall, the girl’s names were not as prominently overused as the boy’s names were. One name I was surprised to see more than a few times was Shayla and variations like Shalyn, etc. Where the heck did that name come from? Maybe it’s a Southern Ontario trend…
Surprisingly there was only one spelling that was so awful that I feel compelled to mention it and that was “Jaxyn”. At first I thought maybe it was for a girl and they thought a “y” would feminize it like “Jordyn” but no, it was Jaxyn for a boy.
A couple of kids are also going to be mad at their parents for naming them after teen celebrities like “Jonas” and “Leighton”. I don’t even know what to say to poor little “Boston” as he grows up.
Ok, so I don’t mean to make fun of anyone’s names and there weren’t any to really question other than “Boston” and I’d say that was just baffling not laugh worthy.
I didn’t come out of the several pages of names with any new clarity. I was happy to see our girl’s name only once and as a middle name. As for our boys name, I’m not convinced by not seeing it. I’ve still heard it too many times on the street to not assume its gaining huge popularity.
Settling on a name will be much easier once we know the sex. I can’t wait! Only 2 more weeks!!
well, now you've got me all curious! are you keeping your top picks a secret?
ReplyDeletewe are worried about picking a name that is too trendy too. its much, much harder than i thought it was going to be to settle on something!
Not so much a secret as we're both nervous to say anything. We're still on unsteady ground and unsure if we're ready to come out with them. Especially the boy's name since we haven't had the best reception to it and we think it's spiking in popularity.
ReplyDeleteFor the girs name, our top pick has been our top pick for a long time *but* we're still not ready to commit. We'll share a list of our top 3 once we know the sex! Although, for a boy that may be a bit more difficult!