Thursday, July 16, 2009

My mother - Part (lost count)

I’m staring to think my mother may be bi-polar or something to that effect. I’m not joking. The things she says to me are so far out there that I’m honestly left wondering – WTF? Her chronic on again/off again plans to visit are back on. I’m pretty sure she has put herself into a position where she cannot back out this time. My Aunt has booked vacation from work and she is carpooling with a friend who is 72 years old and who will apparently do the city driving for her since my mom is not comfortable once the highway grows larger than 2 lanes. Her new plan also includes staying with my Aunt (outside of Toronto) and coming in to see us on the weekend.
Anyway, here’s where the weird stuff starts. While talking to her she started to go on about my “inheritance” and how I had to decide if I wanted it now or if I wanted it at all. She’s trying to convince me that the best thing for our children would be for her to be their live in nanny. She even gave an example of her friends grandchildren who were too advanced for grade 1 after attending Montessori school – apparently they were bored. Oh no…. our kids may be smart… what will we do? She (without a word of a lie) asked me to imagine how great it would be for her to take care of the kids, clean our house and have dinner waiting on the table for when we got home for work. Apparently she’d be standing in the threshold of our door to “hand off” our child and go to her apartment in the attic prior to taking night school. YEAH RIGHT! The “no inheritance” option sounded pretty good to me. She basically said (in a very defeated manor) that she could spend my inheritance on an apartment in Toronto – but then I’d have nothing
So to recap, my mother wants to be our live in Nanny, house Keeper and Cook and to do this she will give US money to live in our attic (that does not exist and will likely never exist). Does something sound really off about this? To be honest, I’ve never once expected an inheritance from her so this load of &$^# about not getting it is completely irrelevant. I love the idea of her moving back down to Southern Ontario – but not to live with us!!!!!
I just don’t understand her. We never see each other and barely have a relationship. In fact, it has only been since our BFP that she’s been calling consistently once a week. She also gets very offended when I tell her that this “plan” will not work. I’ve tried to tell her that we cannot find or afford a house with what she would consider a suitable in-law suite. We live in Downtown Toronto and although we sometimes think about leaving, I doubt we will. The chances of finding the kind of house she is imagining without winning the lottery is pretty much impossible. Perhaps we can find a larger house that was a former grow-op for a decent price?
I’m not sure what I’m going to do about her….

4 comments:

  1. Man alive, your mama brings the drama, eh? I'd probably just tell her you'll think about it just to get her off your back for the time being. I'm sorry she's upping the stress level for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, she's a handful..and a half. The funny thing is when D and I have discussed what our names are going to be (mama etc) I've already said I do not want to be "MOM"... cause I know someone with that name and well.... you know how that works... you don't want to use the name anymore! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. your mom does sound off...so sorry you have to deal with this especially while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There does seem to be something very erratic about her behavior. Hang in there. As bad as it sounds it's best for your sake to have little to no expectations of her, that way you can't get hurt.

    ReplyDelete