Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Quick!

Boo boo is napping and I think I may have a few minutes before she realizes I'm doing something for myself! Soooo...

Randoms:

DSR: Good points for both sides of my DSR question. I think we're going to wait a bit before joining but will join. I had forgotten about sharing medical info. That is worth it.

BF: I have not yet given up on breastfeeding. I won't be exclusively breastfeeding but Sadie does receive a BF appetizer before every meal (except the two late night). I was on Fenugreek & Blessed Thistle but switched to the medication Domperidone. It has worked really well and my supply is way up. Sadie even chokes on my boob now (too much milk) however she still will not take an entire feeding. We're working on it. The good news is that her latch has never suffered. She's good on the boob it's just that the boob isn't good to her. It pisses her off because she's used to the flow of the bottle and when my milk slows she starts to kick and punch me. At least she's not screaming and turning purple like she did in the early days. Hard work has paid off.
The BAD news is that she's farting up a storm. Her gas is sooo bad and I think it is my fault. I had a kick of craving Dairy and ate so many yogurts and so much ice cream. I don't know if that's what did it but if she's already taking milk protein with formula than she shouldn't she be used to it? We've been using gas drops sparingly when it gets bad. I'll mention it at her 2 month appointment.

Attachment: Sadie is starting to get really clingy. I was at my dads on Monday and he seemed disheartened by her behavior. I felt awful about it. She's very fussy with him now and she's even fussy with D. She'll take a bottle from someone else but quickly turns to crying and squirming until I hold her. It's nice to know we're close but it's also extremely tiring because it means I rarely get a good break.

Crazy Grandma: My mom has not met Sadie. She's "going to try" to see her when she comes down to Southern Ontario for a trade show at the end of April. Sadie will be 4 months by then. I don't get it. I can't understand why she hasn't been yet and It hurts a lot. I'm not sure what I can do to change this situation. I've asked my mom several times to come down. I begged her to come and help our first week home because I was having bad nightmares. I also begged her to come down for the start of my time at home without D. She kept saying she'd come but never did. You'd think I'd be used to her rejection but it's hard. I keep hoping she'll change...

Google Reader: Ok, so people kept telling me to use Google reader and I'm just now setting it up. I'm almost done and it is so great. I'll be able to read so many more blogs now! I can't keep up otherwise. I have no time to surf like I used to!!!

OK boo boo is up now. Here are some pictures before I go:


7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics!

    J's (crazy) mom hasn't been yet, either. Don't know when she will. We're kind of dreading it, though, because as much as we want her to come, we worry she won't leave.

    If you figure out the gas, let me know. Figgy's been having trouble with that, too. Constipation, too. Oof.


    Yay for Google Reader! I couldn't do my blogs without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her and oh my goodness, I feel terrible- you somehow fell off my google reader, so I have not been keeping up. I fixed the problem, but wanted to say hello and apologize for my absence! I am glad things are getting better. I can imagine it is hard to face your parents' judgment. But it sounds like you are doing great. Sorry I was out of commenting for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see an update.

    She's adorable!!! And so tiny! Well, compared to my chunker. Riley was tiny like that.

    Gripe Water = best friend for gas.

    I doubt it's the dairy. I think their systems just have to adjust to everything. Jackson used to have the worst gas at times but now rarely has any. I never changed my diet and I love me some cheese so there was plenty of dairy. Best gas hold ever is holding them draped across your arm looking down. Love that one and it seems to work wonders for getting out the gas.

    So sorry about your mom. That really, really sucks. From an outside perspective, I say cut her off. But from a personal one, I know that's hard or impossible to do because she's your mom. {{{hugs}}}

    Babies get very clingy. My boy whines when I'm around and will be content when I'm not. I find that with breastfeeding, it's even worse. It's like you're this huge bottle/pacifier and so they get extra whiney when they see you. Don't feel bad if your baby doesn't want anyone but you to hold her. People might be disappointed because they want to hold your baby but they have to understand that she knows your smell and feels at home there--she is with you all the time and she knows she is safe in your arms. Everyone else might feel strange and new. She'll come around. Also, babies totally read the person's emotions and a more comfortable person will make them at ease than one who is on edge or anxious. I've found that the kids will do much better with someone like my mom who is completely comfortable compared to my dad who might feel a little awkward with a baby. They go through stages where they're good and then when they're not. Then they hit 3 and they're awesome with everyone. :)

    For strong let down from your milk, try tilting your baby's head back a bit. Picture yourself drinking a glass. If your chin is tucked in to your chest, it's hard to drink a lot quickly but if you lean your head back, you can gulp better. I have a very strong flow and found this helped a lot with the choking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what cute pics! i loved how she has embraced her new "no hair" look! :D

    thats great you are still working on the breastfeeding. its sooo hard, good for you for hanging in there!

    im so so so sorry to read about your mother. my partner's mother is the same way...its incredibly painful. sending you ((())).

    and finally, horray for google reader! i *love* it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have google reader but I still just go down my blog roll and read those mostly. That means I miss some posts though. I need to get with the program. And sign up all my blog peeps so i can see what they are doing.
    Have you ever told your mom the effect she has on you? Not so she will change - because she probably won't - but just so you can say it out loud to her? might help, might not. Is it the gay thing or is she just plain crazy?
    I say find surrogates anywhere you can - church, PFLAG - wherever. That's what we're going to do as our moms are both incapacitated and our dads are dead. We have some great peeps at our progressive lefty church.
    SHe is adorable - love the sweatshirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about your mom. That sucks.

    Gas was a huge issue for Ian. I doubt it's dairy though. Kim went off dairy with both Erik and Ian and it didn't make any difference. I think their systems just take time to adjust. Gripe water (especially Life brand) is excellent, if you can get it into her (it smells like dill). You can get that brand with no alcohol in it. We could hear Ian's belly start making noise as soon as he swallowed it and about 15 minutes later he'd let out a huge burp or fart and be a lot better after. Have you tried the "colic hold", where you lay her across your arms face down and walk around? The pressure on their bellies seems to make them feel better. It really worked for Ian when he was small.

    OMG, Ian is so clingy right now too! As soon as we put him down he starts crying and he has the most heartbreaking cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to say, she is absolutely adorable! Keep the pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete