I seriously LOVE our Pediatrician and I'm glad because he wasn't easy to find! Our hospital had given us a large list of doctors in the mega-city (which includes areas that most people would not even consider Toronto) and I called all of them that had OK reviews on RateMDs - over 20 doctors. Only 2 called back and one was not accepting patients! The only choice we had was whether we wanted Dr. S or Dr. L at the only practice that would accept us. Dr. S had fantastic reviews on RateMDs. She sounded amazing except that people had complained of very very delayed appointments. Dr. L had so-so reviews. Half were people saying he was cold and unfriendly and the other half were defending him. They all agreed he was very efficient.
We chose Dr. L - the cold & unfriendly guy who runs on schedule. Strange, I know, but we didn't want to ever be stuck with a sick baby in a room full of sick children for hours waiting on a late doctor.
The truth is he hasn't been cold to us at all. He's been amazing. I didn't need to take Sadie in today but I knew it wasn't going to be a big event if I did. Every single time we've been we check in and are taken directly to an exam room. I've never sat in the waiting room. Not once. The most we've ever waited for Dr. L in the room has been 10 minutes - not even. The same was true for today.
He checked her breathing to make sure her chest was clear (which is what I wanted to know), took her temperature and looked up her nose. He said that what we were doing was pretty much all that could be done. Humidifier, saline drops and nasal aspirator. I asked if it was silly to have come in and he said I was welcome to come in whenever we had a question and if I wanted she could come back in again tomorrow! I love this guy!!
Sadie is FINE. She didn't cough or sneeze once at the appointment but (of course) as soon as I brought her in I put her in her swing so I could put away some groceries and she started up again. To Stacey's point (in comments below) maybe I should wash the covers of the swing and bouncer. Maybe she is allergic to something? I'm not sure but D had mentioned it too.
Am I a paranoid Momma? A bit, yes, but not nearly what I thought I'd be! I'm hyper-sensitive to colds right now. My BBC birth club lost a little one to RSV a few weeks ago. It was so scary and heartbreaking. I can't even imagine. I am NOT looking forward to our first real cold. I hope it is a LONG way off!
Glad to hear she is okay! And how awesome that you have a nice pediatrician.
ReplyDeletedo you have pets that she could be allergic to?
ReplyDeleteLisa - we do have a cat. It crossed my mind that she may be allergic to her. I'm going to mention it to the ped when we go for our 2 month check-up on Tuesday. I wonder if they can do allergy testing this early?
ReplyDeleteI think if you feel a need to go to the pediatrician...then you should go! I know that I've brought my little one to see ours and it was more just to ease my mind. Plus, pediatrician's expect such things...being a parent for the first time is hard and I would never want to make a judgement call that really turned out to be something!
ReplyDeleteIt's awesome to have a great ped. tho so glad you found that! We LOVE ours!! Best wishes for no more sneezes and coughs!