Starting to freak out a bit here!!!
I had my 36 week appointment today and I was sent home with my hospital registration paperwork and a pamphlet about the "signs of labor"and when to come in. Um... not ready!! Baby Girl needs to stay in until her EDD so screw the forms and the pamphlet. Thinking January.... thinking January!!
We're pretty much ready. We accomplished what we needed to on the weekend and I feel we now have all of the material items we need. Included are the items for my hospital bag (new slippers, lounge wear, PJ's, etc). We also have the car seat but read today that our hospital doesn't require you to have one to leave. That's a moot point since we'll need one but I had previously worried we'd be held hostage without it! Next up will be to shovel out the condo, assemble the glider, the crib and then we'll be ready.
Now, the avoided topic... our "friends" baby shower. This is probably the reason I've been avoiding blogging for the past week. No, it wasn't bad. It was actually fun and our friends were very generous. I couldn't believe the items that flew off of our registry. Stuff like our Angel Care monitor, Baby Bjorn carrier, bath tub, diapers, toys, etc. etc. We were spoiled. Here are some pictures: (btw, I didn't end up doing our big cake so I made cup cakes)





What has kept me silent is that we were both very disappointed in all of the last minute cancellations and then on the day of the shower two of our friends that we expected were no-shows. That left 7 of 20 guests. Some of the regrets/excuses were completely expected while others caught us off guard. It's been a week now and it's interesting to see the guilt coming out of people. In person I've put up a brave face and I've let it go (D says I'm too nice) but inside it hurts. The reality is that we're moving in a different direction than our friends. They're in their 30's stuck in a rut of going to "retro night" and having a drinking parties. We're in our 30's and we're starting a family. I think we've gotten to the point where we no longer connect. ):
aw, im sorry to hear your friends have disspointed you - thats so hard to deal with. looks like a fun shower, despite the smaller than anticipated crowd (on the upside - more cupcakes for you!) ;-) thanks for sharing pics!!
ReplyDeleteOh now I get it! It's not about you it's about them hanging onto their decadent 'youth' ( well I knew it wasn't about you before because you're awesome! You gals are going to have to find some hip mamas to hang with who aren't afraid of responsibility and growing up! Score on the gifts though!
ReplyDeleteSounds like they have issues! Just be thankful for the people that support you and be convienent in the direction you are headed. Btw, we received the Boon ladybug bath organizer at our friend shower too! Too funny, again we have so much in common!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear your disappointment in your friends. I felt the same way when Kim and I got married. My friends, even the ones in my wedding party with the exception of one, really kind of sucked. It`s not a nice feeling.
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of people go through disappointing friends, especially when you have kids and they don't. Sorry about that but glad the people who did show were supportive and caring.
ReplyDeleteWe had a similar thing happen to us. After we had our daughter, a couple we had previously been very close to, who also wanted to have kids in the next couple years, just got SO judgemental about how we were parenting and started making rude comments. So, we pretty much lost that friendship, and it still bugs me. Hopefully you'll have better luck than we did in that department. We have made lots of friends with the parents of our daughter's playmates at daycare so it works out either way.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Melissa in Durham
Unfortunately, I think it happens... friends splitting in different directions. It's sad. Glad you got some really good gifts.
ReplyDelete