Friday, November 20, 2009

Jinxed

I must have jinxed myself yesterday saying there was so little baby shower drama this time around. All of a sudden I understand how the women on BBC who write of no one attending their showers got to the point where they weren't sure if any guests were going to attend. Since we're involved in the planning and are buying the food I wanted to get a final count. I sent out an e-mail under the premis of providing "additional information" about parking and the location. At the end of the e-mail I asked if anyone hadn't sent their regrets to please let me know if they were unable to attend.

That opened a floodgate of excuses.... holy crap. Maybe I shouldn't have asked?

We had invited 20 people and at this point it seems that only 9 will attend. Quite frankly I'm starting to feel ill with the humiliation of it all. ) : I'm also upset because we've already spent money on awesome decorations and with all the stuff we need to buy we don't have free flowing cash!

The shower isn't a complete write-off. I'm hoping that the 9 people we expect to attend will actually come. It's also nice to know who your friends really are!

8 comments:

  1. It's such a freaking emotional rollercoaster, isn't it? We invited a TON of people - I mean, all friends, people we wanted there - but way more than we'd be able to handle, knowing that many wouldn't/wouldn't be able to come, and so we'd still (hopefully) end up with a decent number. I hope your friends come and lavish you with love.

    FWIW, I was at a bridal shower a few weeks ago where there were only 8 of us, including the bride-to-be (and 3 of those people were the planners!), and it was really amazing and wonderful and full of love. We talked and laughed and stayed for 8 hours. I hope your baby shower can be that great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true. Everyone will have their reasons vaild or not... With stuff like this, you really know who your true friends are! I hope you have a wonderful shower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though it hurts a bit having friends cancel, some of the best parties are the small intimate ones. Hope you have tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm feeling so much better about this today. It was just awful seeing e-mails come in one after the other with reasons people could no longer attend. They wouldn't have known that they were one in a group of e-mails all cancelling within an hour or so!!

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that really is sucky!that seems to be a generally good word for lots of things these days!
    I agree with PPs -small is beautiful and your real friends will be there.
    I don't get it how you invite people and they find something else more important or pressing to do at the last minute!Don't people have calendars??!!
    Good luck and I hope it's fun after all:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter the number, I'm sure those that do show are there to show some love for you three!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel. I seem to have very little luck actually getting people to attend "formal" parties (as opposed to impromptu dinner "parties".) Hopefully those who confirmed will show and you will have a wonderful shower, surrounded by your closest friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you wrote on my blog! So devilish that I had to laugh out loud. Was the baby shower this weekend? How did it go?

    ReplyDelete