I told my manager today and it went really well. He is such a sweet guy who really loves his kids and will always put them first. That is a good thing when you are new to a job and are saying you have 6 months before you're off for a year. I also had to come out to him because I'd said "we'd been trying for a while" and he said he didn't know I was even with anyone. At that point I had to say I was married and I told him to a woman because I never want to hear the word "husband"!
I think that this pregnancy will out me to everyone and I don't care because I have no issue with people knowing. My issue is that I do not like telling people because I think it is irrelevant. Also, I do not hide anything at all about my life and it's not my fault people ASSume things that are incorrect. The fact is people may not be able to comprehend my pregnancy without more information so I've enlisted a couple of friend/co-workers to help move accurate rumors. I have NO problem with people talking accurately about me behind my back. I also do not have a problem with telling anyone if they ask!! Hopefully people will ask and not gossip!
That's such good news. Very happy for you that you get a year off for maternity leave ( do they pay you too?) and wish it was so here. I think you have a great plan for spreading the right info at work!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDeleteWe are VERY VERY lucky in Canada to have a year off. I always feel bad mentioning it because I know that most of my online friends do not have this benefit. ):
Unemployment will pay 55% of your income up to a max of approx. $400/week. Not a lot of money but we'll make it work!
Glad your manager is fine. It's always hard delivering the news that you'll be off for up to a year. But most places are good about it. I was so relieved doing it this time as I work for a good corporation compared to my last idiotic company.
ReplyDeleteThe maximum you take home after taxes is about $780/bi-weekly. You don't get paid the first 2 weeks. You can earn up to 25% of your salary on parental leave (after the first 17 weeks) without being penalized. I'm aiming for that, if my company can work it out. I figure 1 day a week will give me some extra cash which would be nice.
And about being out, once you have a kid, you're out to strangers and anyone you come in oontact with. LOL. We so often get the "whose is she?" or our toddler calling us mom and mommy.
oops that was me, stacey...didn't realize angele was signed in
ReplyDeleteThanks for the extra info! I've asked people at my work who have been back from mat leave a day and they couldn't answer what the take home was after taxes! That's kind of important to know if you're budgeting for time off from work!!
ReplyDeleteno problem. don't forget you'll get $100/month for the kid too...
ReplyDeletelol, really? Bonus!
ReplyDeleteyep. everyone qualifies for that one. i think you get it for the first 6 years or something--it's meant to help pay for daycare. but really $100 towards over $1000/month in daycare isn't much. ;)
ReplyDeleteYeah, no kidding. Not much at all to help with Day care but that will cover another bill while on Mat leave!
ReplyDelete