Monday, June 15, 2009

The Car - my Dad & our Donor

We’re going to buy our car this weekend and I’m so excited! We’ve narrowed down our choices to the Toyota Yaris and the Nissan Versa (both Sedan). Without actually test driving the cars available we know that our preference is the Versa. It has a bit more power and more interior room. I also think the interior is a lot nicer than the Yaris (I’m not a fan of the center console). These are two of our favourite rental cars so it will be hard to choose. We’ve never driven a long distance in the Yaris but we’ve had the pleasure of driving to New York City in the Versa and it performed well. Especially in the white-out condition blizzard on the way home! As far as the Yaris, it has proven itself as a handy little city car although I will admit I drive it hard and I’m not sure if that is good or safe in the long run.
I’m not going to ask for advice because I’ve found that people are REALLY touchy when it comes to their cars. I’m sure many people IRL are laughing at my desire for a sub-compact car and in return I have to say that I am amazed by how much people are willing to spend on their cars. I’m buying a used 2008 and I’m dipping into my savings to pay cash. My one friend is trying to convince me into leasing because “I won’t want the car in 3 years anyway”. I can’t justify paying over $300 in monthly leasing for a car I’ll owe thousands on if I want to keep in the end. Buying used with cash makes so much more sense for us!

In other news, my father has FINALLY asked about our donor. I was very surprised when he accepted my explanation of “we went to a clinic” when I told him I was pregnant. 7 weeks later he’s curious and I suspect he was suddenly worried about what the guy looked like. He was cute about it. He said he had to ask me what I thought the baby would look like. My first response was that "he’d" be the tallest member of our family! My dad is 5’8ish maybe 5’9 (although I doubt it). He was a bit shocked when I said our donor was 6’2 and asked why we’d do that. I left out the status of his size 14 feet and didn’t tell him that height is apparently a coveted feature for donors since most are taller than I’d have wanted. He asked what nationality he was and amazingly I still can’t answer this question with any accuracy! I said Irish and my Dad was happy about that. I also sent him the picture we have (after he begged) and when he saw the brown hair and brown eyes he said that the baby could have red hair and brown eyes just like "his brother"... oops he meant to say "his UNCLE" (MY brother). Oh and he said “He”, “His” or “Him” throughout the entire call. Do you think he’s hoping for a grandson?
QUESTION: Have people asked you about your donor (Family, close friends, etc)? My mother could care less and doesn't want to even see a picture. Would you share the picture or give details? I asked my dad NOT to show my brother. I think that would be too confusing for him. I don't want anyone to think of our donor as the "father" and I doubt my 10 year old brother will understand it any other way.

6 comments:

  1. Both sides of our family asked about information once they learned we were pregnant. We sent them the profile and picture and they were very excited with all the information. More than one of them said it made them feel like they are involved in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that your family is so interested. I'm thrilled that my dad asked and to be honest very disappointed that my mother doesn't care. The donor may not be considered a father but he certainly isn't someone who can be ignored or dismissed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family was definitely interested. I shared the photos with them and told them the profile info, but didn't give them the profile. My dad was adorable about it - he printed the pics and put them in his safe deposit box with his other valuables :) They were very pleased with our choice and are excited about the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the car! I agree, leasing doesn't seem to be reasonable. I know you're not asking for advice and I really could care less about cars, to be honest, but I had a wonderful experience with my Toyota Echo. For 6 years, I didn't do anything major on it ever. I don't think it's great in snow but it is a sturdy little car.

    I don't recall our families asking about the donor but we've shared information with them. They don't really harp on it but we felt like they would probably be curious. We rarely talk about the donor. We have had to correct my grandmother though when she's said "father" a couple times...we call him "donor" only.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey - I knew you were going to say you loved your echo! I love the Yaris too but like I said, I drive it HARD. I'm not sure I'll ever treat it with the respect it deserves. I look at it and think doughnuts.
    Now..IF the Yaris had the interior of the Versa, I'd buy it hands down. Also the Versa all have about 25,000 km on them vs the Yaris which have about 50,000 km for the same price. That makes the decision tricky too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glamcookie - My dad said our donor looked homely and asked if he'd peed his pants (it really looks like it in the picture). I think he liked him otherwise!


    RE the term "father"... ack! I hope I never hear that from anyone!!

    ReplyDelete