Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Dad

Sigh. I love him but he can be majorly ignorant and difficult to deal with. Therefore I was terrified to tell him about being pregnant and hadn't told him anything about trying. Way back when we started I had even joked about NOT telling him until 5 months or later.
My opinion on that has certainly changed because I told him last night, just shy of 5 weeks!
My decision was based on feeling the need for the support of my family and close friends - regardless of the outcome.
I called last night because my dad is looking for a car for me to buy. I'm ashamed to say it but we are going to be downtown urbanites with a car that we'll use to take us to the glorious suburbs to work (D works downtown, but I'm outside of the city) and play. It's a big step. Anyway, I was able to talk to my step-mom first and she was so excited she started to cry on the phone. I asked if she'd tell my dad but she said I should. She told me he will be so happy because his biggest fear in life was dying before having grandchildren. That really opened my eyes. I had never thought my father would mourn the loss of grandchildren because of my same sex relationship. It's sad, really. It was ignorance to assume I wouldn't have children but it also gives context to how upset he was when I told him I was gay. Maybe it wasn't just hate? I digress. My father wasn't home but he called almost immediately. I'm assuming my step-mom told him to call me ASAP. When I told him he sounded shocked and asked how I did it. I simplified things (not wanting to use the term sperm bank) and said that we used a clinic. I knew he was getting excited when he asked if we'd know the sex at our first u/s so that he could start spoiling the baby. He ended the call saying he'd need a beer to digest it all.
I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off of my shoulders. My dad was OK with this and so was my step-mom. In fact my step-mom was THRILLED. Not 2 hours later my father calls me back and says:
"I just have to tell you I'm so exited about this. I'm so happy. I just couldn't be happier! I'm going to be a grandpa!" He also mentioned how my uncle (his best friend and referencing my cousins pregnancy) was going to be a grandfather and now he will be too. Since I'm still cautious I told him not to get too excited because it's so early. His response: But you'll try again if something happens??!!
Also, they told my brother (not so thrilled about that) and he was so excited he was apparently jumping around the house yelling "I'm going to be an uncle". At 1o years old, that's pretty cool.

10 comments:

  1. aw, this post brought a tear to my eye! go dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cool is that?!!! We hear so much about people's parents not getting it - it's a joy to hear about yours being so excited and affirming! Yippee! good for them and good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad it went so well. sometimes we underestimate our families. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. you can move to the burbs...we have a house for sale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's very sweet! I'm so glad your dad is that excited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is super cool that he is excited! I was so worried about my parents and found out that parents really love being grandparents!

    BTW - Congratulations on the pregnancy! How exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally loving my dad more than ever right now! He is cool and sweet and just so unpredictable. I didn't think things would go so well after other bad experiences. I guess you just never know! (and maybe people can change)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I too got teary on that one. It is amazing when our families suprise us with support and are excited for our growing family. Enjoy it!
    from an obsessive blog follower and lesbian mom to an almost 2 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet! Totally made me cry.

    ReplyDelete