Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Life can be unfair

On our way home from the vet last night D and I decided to take the TTC instead of a cab. I'm certain Frank enjoyed this because he was very curious and looking all around as we were outside.
While waiting for the street car a "homeless looking" man came up to us and asked if we could spare money or ttc fare. We said no because we always do. We live downtown and this happens every single day.
It was raining out (a light drizzle) and already dark when the Street car came. The man who had asked us for money boarded and presented a transfer to the operator which the operator refused. He asked if he could look and see if he had fare and the driver impatiently agreed. We saw the man search through his bag and go back to the driver and say he didn't have any money. The driver told him he'd have to exit the streetcar at the next stop.
I felt awful so I gave him a token. He thanked us over and over saying that he needed to get to Bloor and Spadina (we caught the streetcar at Broadview) and we really helped him out. He was a very sweet man but he looked like he'd had a hard life. I guess the TTC cannot allow people to ride transit for free but with the current rates it is becoming a privilege people cannot afford.
Well, it turns out the Streetcar operator was a hypocritical bastard. When we got to Sherbourne (3rd stop before subway) a clean-cut University type guy boarded and asked if he could "pay at the station". In other words, travel on the street car for free. Did the Operator even think twice? No. He said "sure, pay at the station". life can be unfair, point #1. Let the homeless guy out in the rain but let the preppy guy ride for free. I don't care if it was 3 blocks vs. 30. If you're going to be a hard ass at least be consistent.
Life can be unfair point #2, D and I were just discussing the issue with her brother and CAS. Unless I've heard the conversation first hand it's very hard to get clear answers over what she's discussed with her mother. Apparently CAS was very hard on her brother and said he was an unfit parent. This is extremely ironic considering my complaint to CAS did center around my SIL wanting to give up the kids. I said many times that I thought my BIL was in a bad situation because he was not getting help from his wife who worked nights while the kids were at home (they are in daycare during the day) and that he was overwhelmed but wanted to keep them. There are TWO parents in that household and if one is being called unfit they should both be accused. Or I guess because my SIL spends her time at work (double shifts, even weekends) and sleeping when the children are home she can't be considered the unfit parent because she's not actually there to parent - but she is the mother so that's automatically more important.
I am in no way defending some of the stupid things my BIL has done because he does show poor judgment at times however my point to CAS should not have made this about him. He is never going to be able to defend himself the way he should because his wife is sweet and quiet and would quite easily be able to use that to her defense. My BIL on the other hand can be completely stunned and as previously mentioned can show poor judgment and/or say stupid things.
This is officially a disaster. I don't know what we can say to make it better because we've made the situation worse.
Isn't it great when people pass judgments before understanding the real situation?

2 comments:

  1. It's a disaster because they are a disaster. You reported what you had to and it's up to CAS to investigate. From what you've said, they both are pretty unfit in a lot of ways. I don't think a mother is more important nor do I think her being quiet and soft-spoken will automatically make her look good. Unfortunately, those kids are the ones who suffer with the chaos and the unhealthy home life their parents have created. I see nothing wrong with reporting something rather than turning a blind eye to it, even if they cut you off. You did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Ultimately it is about the kids and I hope this helps them and not just cause a family war. I hope CAS sees the truth because I was brutally honest. The call started out about my SIL trying to dump her kids on (anyone who would take them) and turned into a discussion about why they would be in a situation to ever do that.

    ReplyDelete