Saturday, October 18, 2008

Legally Blonde The Musical

First off, we are total suckers for punishment. When Legally Blonde the Musical was first announced I was one of those who was crying Broadway blasphemy (that title now goes to Shrek the Musical). However when it opened it was pink and sparkly and I love things that are pink and sparkly. I wanted to see it but not bad enough to pay even TKTS prices.
Then came the MTV show "search for the next Elle Woods". Hook. Line. Sinker. I had to see the show so naturally when I saw it was going to Shea's I thought it was a good compromise. I wouldn't be wasting valuable Broadway viewing hours but I'd still get to see it.
Well.
It was mediocre. Definitely not the worst show I've seen (that would be Disney's On the Line) or even as bad as We will rock You. It had it's moments.... however... it was pretty much what I should have expected from a movie made into a musical. I know the Broadway set was more elaborate so maybe that helped?
That said, what I didn't expect was it to have the following extremely offensive song. I know that this was part of the movie and it was stereotyped there too but it just wasn't anything like this. You have to see it, there's no description.

Fast forward to 4:14....



Anyway... pretty crazy, huh? No wonder this closed on Broadway!
D and I have decided that from now on we probably wont do tours. Most people do not see the difference but a Tour is never the same as the Broadway show. The blocking and set will almost always be different so If you want to see the Broadway show you really should go to NYC. I know that is not realistic but at the very least we stand by our rule to never ever ever see a Non-Equity production.

No comments:

Post a Comment