Sunday, October 12, 2008

Driving, Moving, etc.

The car we have this week is a 2008 Yaris sedan - how appropriate. Although we've driven the hatchback numerous times (it's one of our zipcar choices) this is our first time with the sedan. We were surprised how the trunk space on the sedan really makes up for what the hatchback is lacking and we are enjoying the car.
As for my mom and her new hatchback, what can you do? I wish she'd bought a car with a little more CAR but since she's happy I didn't say anything other than "congratulations".
As for us, since we have a car we've been doing "car things" like going to the drive-in and shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond - which isn't in Downtown Toronto. Having a car makes me feel like I need to leave and go to the burbs. I know there will be a trip to Vaughan Mills. I know it's coming.
We went to visit my parents yesterday. My dad is obsessed with me moving home. We even toured a house that was for sale around the corner from him. He said that he thought his neighbour would be selling soon and said I could move next door to him. I'm not sure how well that would go over when we need to take in my mother after she's spent all her money and needs to move back. I'm sure my step-mom would love that!
The house around the corner (a better distance) was pretty nice. It's a split level with 3 bedrooms and a huge yard attached to my brothers elementary school playground. It needs work to rescue it from the 70's but it had tons of potential like exposed brick walls, a new kitchen and a wood burning fireplace. I love my dad's neighbourhood and living around the corner from him would have a lot of perks - like his hot tub and pool! Unfortunately this is not something we can do right now. We've been talking a lot about moving back but it won't work if we both continue to work in Toronto. We'd need to start looking for jobs first. I tried to explain this to my father but he didn't get it. He doesn't get how little we pay for transportation right now. If we were to commute we would need to pay $700/month in GO fare, I would need to still pay TTC ($100), and we'd need a car. We'd essentially be paying a $1000 more per month and would have less time at home since we'd be spending so much time commuting. Sorry, but that doesn't make sense at all. D spent one summer commuting to Toronto when she was in University and she said it was pure hell. I'd have to agree and say it doesn't sound like fun at all.
So we have a desire to move closer to family but it would mean a drastic change since it would involve finding new work. We'll have to see. I think I'll start looking and see what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment