Friday, February 16, 2007

We had a good laugh yesterday over how I was going to get home from the hospital after giving birth. I'm the driver of the family and it seems obvious that I will not drive myself to the hospital... so unless my mom comes into the city, we'll be taking public transit or walking (we are close to a few hospitals). The thing is that my mom is so afraid of driving in Toronto. I usually pick her up at Yorkdale mall and drive her to my place. She just can't handle it.

Speaking of her.. she is against me having a baby. I mention it and she always says "Don't! It will ruin your life". There is sad irony in this statement - I'm an only child! So she didn't enjoy being a parent, that's fine. It doesn't mean I will have the same experience. In all honesty I cannot blame my mother. She was very idealistic. She had "white picket fence" dreams and what she got was my father leaving her and a toddler that grew up into a handful of a child. All of that said, we've been discussing when to tell her. We think we'll wait until I'm later in the pregnancy so she does not upset me early on. She lives far enough away that not knowing for the first 6 months will not be a problem. This will be interesting.

1 comment: