It’s been approximately 9409 days since my last flight and during that time I have endured endless criticism from people who (mostly) have no idea what it’s like to have a fear that is so strong that it prevents them from experiencing life. We’re not flying because someone has “finally” convinced me. We’re not flying because “driving with a baby would be crazy”. We’re flying because I feel like I’m ready. It’s like the time we took the BUS to Florida. After 36 hours there and 36 hours back I finally felt ready to get my drivers license. Now, after 16,840 km (10,464 Miles) of driving to Florida, I feel like flying. We’ve had non-refundable tickets purchased for a while now and for the most part I’ve been OK. There was one small issue involving switching our seats closer to the emergency exit (for my peace of mind) but other than that I’m feeling pretty good about our decision (not that I have a choice now).
Choices I did have:
1) I only wanted to fly out of a Canadian Airport. It seriously would have been hundreds cheaper to fly out of New York State but for my “first” flight I wanted to be at home.
2) Sadie has her own seat and we’re using her Car Seat on the plane (this was important for my feeling of Safety for her).
3) We had to rearrange our dates a bit to avoid September 11th, our original arrival date.
This is going to be HUGE for me so I’m sure you’re going to hear about it on the blog as September gets closer and any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
I'm not a huge fan of flying either. My advice is take Gravol, it takes the edge off.
ReplyDeleteI was going to say take a Xanax :) My mom has the same fear. It's the reason why we would drive to Florida (from NJ) every other year for family vacations. I do not miss those 17 hour car rides and am very glad I didn't inherit her fear of flying. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteGood luck. I don't enjoy it either but thankfully Florida is a quick flight.
ReplyDeleteCongrats that is really cool!
ReplyDelete