Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 14 – How do you like to dress your kids?

I’m going to skip right to Sadie for this one since she’s the one with the nice clothes in our house!

My view on buying children’s clothing has changed a lot over the past year. There was a point where I may have bought into the idea that more expensive was worth it, better quality, blah blah blah… but I’d given up on that idea after last summer. Kids grow too fast to spend a lot of money on any one item. The most “expensive” items we have now are used Gymboree dresses and each of those adorable little velvety ensembles have only been worn once. I’m thankful I didn’t pay full price.


Most of Sadie’s fall/winter clothing was second hand or from Walmart (sleepers). Now that the summer is here again we’re buying new since there isn’t the same savings for shorts and t-shirts. I’d found it hard last year and I’m finding it hard again this year since little girls clothing is very revealing. We will not dress Sadie in tank tops, halter tops or spaghetti straps so this means that 99% of sundresses are out since they rarely have sleeves. We’ve found that Carters has some great options but you have to shop early to grab the Spring/Early Summer items before they all turn skimpy. Of course, this isn’t the same on the boy’s side of the store. Try buying a bathing suit for a little girl. Shop early for that too so you can grab a bikini that has a rash guard top. Otherwise, go to the boys section because apparently sun protection is important for boys while little girls can wear “barely there” bikinis. We were able to buy a few rash guard swim suits this year.

So what if she looks like she’s from the 1920’s? I’m serious about sun protection.

Anyway, we have two drawers busting full of clothing that needs to be packed away and I’m saddened every time I do it. The reality is, even if we have a second, we only have a 50% chance we’re gong to have a girl. Holding onto Sadie’s clothing is an emotional crutch. She’s growing too fast and it makes me want to cry (even the Walmart sleepers get me teary eyed).

7 comments:

  1. Tank tops are revealing? I understand about some of the skimpy stuff (I will not buy a bikini for our daughter) but a tank top is just sleeveless and practical for hot days. There's always sunscreen if you're going to be out. Just saying, I hardly think tank tops are skimpy.

    I agree that many things out there are crazy for little kids.

    I do find that the more you pay, the better quality it is. I'm not saying I pay a lot for things these days (before Jackson, we shopped up a storm but with two kids, we do buy some cheaper things.) I find the stuff from Gymboree, Gap, Mexx hold up better than the cheap stuff from Old Navy, Carter and Joe. But I like the cheap stuff--I just find it looks worn or shrinks or gets holes more often than the quality clothing. For nice outfits, I turn to the higher end brands for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't wear a tank top and neither will Sadie, a sleeveless shirt, maybe, but nothing that exposes the shoulders. It's not a modesty thing it's about sun exposure and fair skin (which we both have). When I was about 10 I got a 3rd degree sunburn on my shoulders with blisters the size of quarters. It was serious and I was very sick, almost missing my grade 5 graduation. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as higher quality stuff, I find it doesn't matter much with lighter material clothing. Cheap or expenisve, it wears out and gets stained/ruined. Sadie had almost all GAP for her first 6 months and then she started ruining stuff and we started buying cheaper stuff we could cycle through faster. Winter stuff we buy brand name but mostly second hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made it sound like a modesty thing because you said it was very revealing right before saying you wouldn't allow them. That's why I wondered. As someone who's mostly Scottish and kids who have a German donor, we all can understand fair skin. I lather everyone up with plenty of sun screen and try not to be out in the direct afternoon sun. I don't like the sun and neither do their blue eyes...ouch. :P

    Riley's already put a hole in an Osh Kosh dress and many of them look really worn out. That's what I meant by quality. I just find the stitching and material on a lot of higher end clothes really do make a difference. I agree, summer clothes are light and it's not as huge a deal as winter clothes. That being said, certain items like jeans don't matter where they come from. Jackson's been in the same jeans for over a year and they're still holding up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of Sadie's clothes this year came from
    Joe Fresh. $5 t-shirts and $8 shorts - $120 worth in a single trip.
    We'll have to see if they've held up by the end of the summer. (;

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Joe stuff. It sometimes doesn't hold up (I've had quite a few rip at the seams in my clothing) but I like them--cute stuff, cheap and Riley loves the sparkly shoes from there. They have these adorable red sequin runners--reminds me of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. T-shirts are pretty good from there and I like some of the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also don't get Bee shirts that don't cover her shoulders for sun protection.

    Soon they are going to start fulling dressing themselves and picking their own clothes!

    ReplyDelete