Monday, June 13, 2011

Ketchup

Day 7 – Skip

Day 8 – If you had to teach something, what would you teach? I’ve often thought of how sweet it would be to be a school teacher and have the summer off but I’ve never once imagined myself teaching children. I couldn’t handle more than 10-12 kids. I probably wouldn’t want to teach adults either. I have a very low tolerance of stupid people. I can’t stand going into a training session and needing to deal with that person who tries to enter URL’s into google.

Day 9 – What is the most important lesson you learned from your own Mother? Honesty, I suppose. My mother is a very honest person (to a fault) and always put a great emphasis on being honest. I may be a rule bender now but I can’t lie without feeling extremely guilty.

Day 10 – Skip

Day 11 – In what ways does being a 2-mom family impact your experience of parenting? So far I don’t think it’s impacted our parenting at all. I feel like we’re exactly the same as a heterosexual family. I don’t think we’re going to feel the impact until Sadie is old enough to understand that her family is different.

Day 12 – Tell us about the first time you got drunk. On my 19th birthday (legal drinking age in Ontario, Canada) I went out with friends to a restaurant that was known for extremely large cocktails. The one I ordered came in a fish bowl and my friend’s came in a flower vase. I was so scared I was going to be sick after finishing the drink that I made myself throw it up. Smart, right? I can be tempted by fancy cocktails occasionally but I’m usually too cheap to pay for them. I’ve never had a glass of wine or even a taste of beer. I don’t feel I’m missing out on anything.

Day 13 – Best Job/Worst Job – My Best job was working as a camp counsellor. I absolutely loved camp and looked forward to it all year long. I spent 11 years at the same camp between working, volunteering and being a camper myself. My “worst job” was at a fast food mc “burger joint”. I started out as a part time employee while still in school and after 6 months was offered an Assistant Manager position (Corporate, not Franchise). I loved the job literally as much as I hated it. I say that because the people I worked with, the kids I managed, were great. The company treated its employees well (overnight retreats, big parties, good compensation and vacation) but it was the customers that SUCKED. We were treated horribly, constantly and there was always the big "threat" of complaints to head office (I'd gladly give out my business card so they could reference my name). I don’t know why but people felt so entitled when they came into our restaurant, but they did.
Anyway, I quit after a little over 1 year in the position. I’d had my limit of calling police over fighting, homeless sex in the wheelchair washroom (referred to as bum sex but that confuses people haha), scam artists lying about food they never purchased and demanding refunds and the cleaning up of vomit. On my very last shift my first phone call of the morning was the Police Department calling about “the robbery at our restaurant” the night before. I was sooooo happy to get out of there. Sooooo happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment