ETA: I wrote this yesterday before others started to post theirs and, well, don't hate me.
Most Surprising thing about Parenthood:
1) How well I can function in the middle of the night. Seriously.
There have only been a handful of times when I've thought "I can't do this". I've generally found that I can get up, function as if it were daylight, and then fall back to sleep immediately. Sadie is still waking up in the middle of the night so I'm glad I can cope so well.
ETA: I think the reason why sleep hasn't been as difficult is because Sadie was formula fed. I'm hoping that someone else who FF can jump in and agree? I remember people saying they were BF every 1.5 hours when Sadie was FF every 3 hours (8 bottles/day).
2) I'm surprised that I am not a complete helecopter parent. I'm pretty relaxed. I can handle germs much better than I could before having her and I generally do not freak out that often. My mom is really bad with dramatic gasping!! It drives me nuts! She says my lack of a reaction (to falls/bumps) is just as annoying. The thing is, I don't want a whining kid so I try to keep a level head about it all. (:
3) I thought that there would be more equality in parenting. I think the split for us is more like 80/20 or 70/30 depending.
4) Everyone always said/says they can't believe how much they love their child(ren) and that's so true! I am amazed by my love for her. It's so strong.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
We FF exclusively from 6w on, but n was always a good sleeper. And I know loads of people with FF babies who were TERRIBLE sleepers, up all the time. I think it just depends on the baby. ;-)
ReplyDeleteChunk was a boob baby, but he was every three hours and that was enough. This mama needs sleep. Thankfully he sleeps great now- Im surprised she wakes up every night. Do you feed her or just calm her back to sleep? Our parenting is totally not even either, although I am going to work on backing off and moving from our 80/20. Even 60/40 sounds awesome right now!
ReplyDeleteSadie still gets a bottle most nights around midnight. Shame. Shame. Shame.
ReplyDelete