Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Long Island - Part 1

This took way too long but my time on an actual computer is few and far between!

Our trip to Long Island and New York City was amazing! We had so much fun with Laurie, Heather and Ryan that we didn't want to come home. I'm even plotting to get away again before the end of the year... we'll have to see!

Our drive was actually pretty good even with rain and traffic. THANK YOU Britax Boulevard! Sadie is so comfortable that she sleeps so easily in the car now. When I compare our last couple of trips with our trip to Quebec (that report is coming too - better late than never) I can really see how big of a difference the car seat makes. Sadie was miserable in her Peg bucket!!

Anyway, our first impression of Long Island was that of surprise. It is *so* weird to drive across Manhattan to get somewhere that is not NYC. It was absolutely mind blowing until we found out that there is another way onto the island.
We love Manhattan and all but going across the city during rush hour in a subcompact amongst native NY drivers and transport trucks was NOT fun. Fortunately our GPS took us the other route on the way home!
The highways on the Island were big, fast and very busy but the area we were staying was almost rural. So. Weird. In the daylight we would find suburban bliss but at night it was almost out of my comfort zone darkness!
Our hotel ended up being in the perfect location but I would still get lost every time I tried to find it myself! It was very close to Laurie and Heather (apparently if you drove the correct way), clean, free breakfast, pool (we didn't get to use it) and around restaurants.
On the first night we met up and went to dinner. Ryan and Sadie hit it off immediately and so did the four of us. The kids ended up being up way too late but they didn't seem to mind.

Playing at the Hotel the first night

The next day was a busy one. We met for Breakfast at the Hotel and abused their free breakfast policy. They had good waffles! Afterward we went to a great aquarium with the kids. They had a blast! Here are some pictures from our first day:


Best Friends from the start!

Having fun while we ate lunch

Beautiful Coral Reef


Wow!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! The trip report! I've been waiting patiently for it... and especially like the comment about sneaking in another visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (: I was *only* able to post this because Sadie fell asleep in her highchair. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I'm jealous of the bloggy get togethers :)

    ReplyDelete