Thursday, November 18, 2010

Photo Shoot

Please tell me I'm not the only one that feels totally used and abused after being at a photo studio? Sigh. $150. Double Sigh. They have you the minute you walk through the door!
The good news is that the session went really well and we got some amazing shots. Out of our 3 photo studio experiences this one was the best --- and it was SEARS!

What have other people's experiences been like? Anyone not getting studio pictures? Our 3 attempts:

1) Magenta - This was a new boutique like photo studio that had been popping up in our malls. Sleek design, gorgeous pictures displayed, tacky props (butterfly wings!) and by far the most expensive. We took advantage of a "free sitting fee and free wallet". Not by far the most enticing offer but I was feeling like we'd missed out on newborn shots and I really liked their "Anne Geddes" style pictures. Sadie was 5 months old.
The verdict? Meh.
The guy taking the pictures had no charm at all. NONE of the cutesy photos turned out worth ordering. They were also *really* expensive for a MALL photo studio. $50 per sheet. We took our free wallets and ordered a blanket with a collage of several of the "natural shots". D was horrified when I told her I'd ordered a blanket but it was nice. I actually like it, a lot. We ended up spending $120.
2) Walmart - Package for $7.99. What the heck, right?
The Verdict? OK
The guy taking the pictures seemed to be using the camera "quick reference guide". hmmm.. the shots were pretty good and we ended up buying more than just the $7.99 package. HOWEVER they went and printed way more photos than we'd selected and told us to BUY THEM or they'd throw them out. Evil. We ended up spending about $50.

3) Sears - No discount, 1 free photo collage but absolutely no choice whatsoever related to the design. Awesome props and backgrounds and the photographer was really good with Sadie. I didn't think we'd spend $150 at Sears but the photos turned out well.
The Verdict? GOOD but I feel a bit icky about the sales methods. I asked about promotions and she vaguely said to check the website. None of the promotions that were on big posters outside of the studio applied or you needed a "coupon" that she couldn't tell me where to find. She seemed OK until I was trying to get some sort of a deal. It was the first time we'd paid a sitting fee.
A sneak peek:

As you can see, we went with Dress #1. We ended up choosing that one since it fit best (the others are still a bit big) and it wouldn't clash with the backgrounds. I hope she can fit dress #3 better in time for Santa photos! I bought 18 months which was silly. She generally does wear 18 months but not for dresses. She's always been able to fit dresses a lot longer.
I was a bit sad that I hadn't thought to bring our own props. I wish the picture with the bear had been Mr. Monkey.

And just for fun, I found a baby photo of myself. I'm not sure how old I am but I only have about 4 teeth!

5 comments:

  1. Portrait studios are like used car salesmen and you have to stand your ground or you can get over your head. I have only ever used Target which I liked but Tiff didn't. So much so that I finally convenienced her to let me buy a SRL camera ($850) and I take all of his pictures now. I have an art degree and have taken photog courses, so not a stretch. I took his 6 month and his 9 month and I think they were amazing. Then I just upload to shutterfly and pay for prints. I guess everyone is different and as long as your happy in the long run, that is what matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, love the red dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hit or miss. We tried the Sears near us and had the most horrible experience, so now we use Picture People. It's hard, but we usually manage to do okay. Last time was the best by far, they forgot to charge us for something. Heh. (Normally I'd call them on it, but we'd been there for ~3 hours, it was ridiculous - not our normal location, and we won't go back there.)

    So cute, though, and she looks great in the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. adding to my to-do list: get professional pics made...

    i love the card (and the blanket!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, hate portrait studios. We did Sears once. I like our own pictures more than studio pictures. Or you can find a photographer who does photos in a natural setting--always turns out awesome.

    Great pictures though--they did a good job. A lot of studios like Sears don't know what they're doing.

    ReplyDelete