So on BBC (aka my favourite place to dig up controversial topics) a mom posted how her almost one year old daughter LOVES Sponge Bob and that she feels forced to have a SB themed 1st Birthday party.
This got me thinking about Sadie's TV viewing habits. I wouldn't say I've made a point to NOT show Sadie cartoons/children's shows, I just haven't. Today we watched Dexter and a TLC show about women not knowing they were having twins.
Maybe this is the reason I can't get anything done!! Perhaps I should strap Sadie into her highchair, face her towards the TV, and throw her some puffs???
Seriously...??
Now I know I just wrote that Sadie was in love with Thomas but that is from playing with train tables when we're out (library, bookstores, etc ). NOT watching TV.
I just checked and we actually have Thomas on our "On Demand". I'm tempted to put an episode on tomorrow to see what Sadie thinks. Maybe it's time for me to put the adult programs aside for when she's sleeping? I don't really want her to watch TV... I'm just curious to see if she'll notice what's going on.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Erik didn't show any interest in TV at all until he was close to 2, other than Baby Einstein a couple of times when he was really little. I remember when he was around 18 months, he was such a busy kid that we were desperate for him to watch just 10 minutes of TV, but he wasn't interested. Ian so far hasn't show much interest either but a few days ago he watched about 5 minutes of Toopy and Binoo. Five minutes is a pretty long for him to sit still and pay attention to something. He sees TV more than Erik did because Erik watches it but so far he still has shown almost no interest in it. I guess it depends on the kid.
ReplyDeleteSpongeBob seems like a little much for a one year old... that kid probably has an older sibling. :)
We PVR some shows on Treehouse like Go Diego Go!, Dora the Explorer and Elmo's World. Riley and Jackson enjoy some of the same shows. Jackson didn't really care for tv until he started getting into Elmo. He hates some of the shows Riley likes like Toopy and Binoo. We do use tv a couple times a day now. It is great for winding down after daycare while I prep dinner or while I shower. I don't think watching some tv is bad. I don't agree with others who sit their kids in front of it all the time especially at such a young age. But I think most people use it to get a few moments where they can do something that needs doing like making dinner.
ReplyDeleteI cut out adult shows when Riley was old enough to pay attention to things.
You will find, like Shannon said, a younger sibling will get more tv time than your first born because the older child wants to watch programs.
We had to basically stop watching tv while chunk is awake because the boy is obsessed with the "magic light box". He has been since about 2 months old and if he hears the theme music to Handy Manny, he will stop everything. At first we thought it was cute that he (and Tiff) loved Handy Manny, but it started to become an issue and we stopped and allow him to watch one episode a week. We have a million DVR'ed... I love tv and have many shows that I watch regularly, but now my tv time is basically from 7-10pm when he goes to bed. If we are in a public place and there is a tv, it is like he has a beacon and can detect it from afar!
ReplyDelete