Saturday, August 8, 2009

Yes, I like to plan things...

My parents are taking my 10 year old brother to Disney World for the first time in September and I offered to help them because we’ve been several times and know how things work with reservations, etc. Taking into consideration my brother’s age and interests I spent 2 hours yesterday making a schedule for them. Since they’ve booked during the free dining plan promotion I also suggested restaurants…. and that is where I’m done helping… I’ve told them numerous times in the past 2 months that during the Free Dining promotion restaurants are hard to book (obviously because it’s FREE) and that reservations are taken 90 days in advance. They refuse to listen because they do not want to be tied down to a specific park or time in case my brother wants to be somewhere else. Sorry, but our kids are not going to have that much control!!!! In my opinion the best things about Disney are the dining experiences, the parades, fireworks and shows. Those are all scheduled at certain times and days and if you do not plan ahead you will not be in the right place at the right time.
Oh well, it’s their loss because they are going to have 7 table service meals where they are going to have little to no choice (time or restaurant) and may not be able to use. They’re not going to be happy when they are stuck with counter service because (sorry Disney) it sucks! What’s so hard with understanding that the food is FREE therefore people are ravenous to book the BEST timeslots at the BEST restaurants?
Sigh. I don’t need to get my blood pressure up about this so I’m not helping anymore. If anyone needs a detailed “first timers” itinerary for an adult only vacation or adult with older child/teen let me know because I have a great one!! Disney vacation planning is a passionate hobby of mine!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh we should talk because we're thinking Disney World in fall/winter 2010. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to help! I need practice planning for little ones since I'm sure we'll be there in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you, Disney requires some planning if you want to see and eat everywhere you want to. My parents never did this when I was a kid, it was all about getting there as early as possible and running around all day, eating the snacks my Mother packed and being exhausted and grumpy kids by 6PM but having to be there for 3 more hours to see XYZ... My last trip was all about sleeping in and avoiding the early rush to stand in line, leaving the park for dinner somewhere at one of the resorts then returning to the and staying until close. I had a much better time, especially as I am NOT a morning person! I highly recommend dinner at any of the Polynesian's restaurants followed by snagging a spot on the beach for a spectacular view of the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete