Monday, August 31, 2009

"16 and Pregnant"

Yes, I’m admitting to watching this show.
At first glance I was shocked that MTV would be producing a show like this. Thinking of shows like “My Super Sweet 16” I was concerned that MTV would make teenage pregnancy look cool or an achievable means of having a reality show on the network. I’ve now seen the entire series (minus reunion) and I think they’ve done a pretty good job. There hasn’t been anything glorified (it’s actually quite depressing) and the filming of the birth seems a lot more realistic (and painful) than your typical “A Baby Story” on TLC. In fact there have been times when D has looked at me, horrified, and has asked if I’d like the TV turned off.
The episode we just saw hit very close to home. For the first time we saw a couple who chose adoption. It was so heartbreaking to watch the couple, who were very mature considering the situation they were in, support each other throughout the process. Giving up a baby is a hard, life altering decision. Even when you’re young….
I know that from my own family .When I was 6 years old my youngest Aunt was “16 and Pregnant” and chose adoption. I grew up with the knowledge of what had happened and I saw how much my Aunt loved her daughter even though she had never met her. She ended up marrying her high school boyfriend (the one who fathered her first child) and they had a second daughter together.
Over the years my Aunt obsessed over the adoption. I think it was extremely hard on her being with her husband and not knowing their first daughter. Eventually, after 20 years, they were re-united. I’m sure my “new” cousin would never have expected to find her birth mother, birth father and a full biological 8 year old sibling waiting for her after all of those years. She essentially found a fully intact family with Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Grandparents. I feel for her adoptive family – they must have been equally as shocked. Overall it has been a “dream come true” for my Aunt and Uncle.
Anyway, when I saw the maturity of the two kids in this episode and how close they seemed I thought of what future they have together. Honestly, anything is possible and they could end up just like my Aunt and Uncle, married with children in the future. If they do it will be a rough road.. but they made the right decision.

4 comments:

  1. love that show and the last couple was so mature--even more mature than their parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved that show as well. i think its one of the best shows mtv has ever had. those kids were very mature and did the best thing they could do for the baby. that is quite an amazing story about your aunt. i wish every adoption story ended up like that for the kids sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the most heart wrenching episode of all of them. I bawled my eyes out. Those kids were amazing to put that little girl ahead of themselves even when they didn't have the support of their family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan as well. I think the show does a great job of showing the complex realities of these girls and the tough decisions/situations they have to face. My mom was born to a teenager who gave her up for adoption. She's chosen never to contact her birth family and has always been firm with that decision. You always hear about the adoption reunion scenarios, but it's been the case with my mother that she has thrived without ever wanting to know her birth family.

    ReplyDelete