Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Just my luck...

I've been summoned to Jury duty!! For an 8 week MURDER trial! D is fairly positive they'll disqualify me based on the fact that I'm pregnant and will be 27 weeks at the start of Jury selection. We also highly doubt, if I do make it to the interview stage, that I'll be selected. We already know what the trial is for because they sent the witness list with the accused/deceased names. There isn't anything in writing saying I can't discuss what trial it is but I'm not comfortable blogging about it. .
Ironically D was ALSO called for duty in the spring for another high profile murder trial. The selection process here doesn't seem very "random" if we BOTH get called within 6 months and both for large, high profile trials! D ended up sitting at the courthouse for a week doing nothing and then being released. There were literally hundreds in her jury pool.
Honestly, if I wasn't pregnant, I think this would be pretty cool. There is an option where you can contact the courthouse in advance and ask for your duty to be "postponed" but I'm not going to do that. It would be worse to be called back during mat leave when I'm taking care of a newborn.
My plan is to show up, hope I have a really FAT baby belly, and enthusiastically hope they do not want me!

5 comments:

  1. I have to admit, Jury Duty sounds like it might be a little fun, even if I were called while pregnant. :) I'm interested to see if they relieve you of your duty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, this sounds like a perfect time to play the pregnancy card. make sure to wear obvioulsy looking pregnant clothes, put your hands on your back, and waddle up to the jury box for the q/a segment. maybe feign a little 2nd trimester m/s while you are at it?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sooo want to spill the beans on which trial this is because I think it's a cool one!! I'll wait until AFTER jury selection and I'm officially off the hook (provided they do not say I cannot talk about it).
    In any case... yes, the pregnancy card is coming out to play! I have an idea of which outfit I'll wear already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got called for jury duty last year and was kind of sad when my case was dismissed. I find it all highly interesting and a break from the day to day. But, being very preggers is a different scenerio all together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put that I was pregnant as a medical issue on the application and I got excused. Mine was a stupid traffic violation though. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete