Saturday, September 29, 2007

Risks of using a sperm donor

I'm not sure if I'm just naive but the risk of DI children meeting and the potential for "incest" doesn't bother me even though I have a real life example of DI kids meeting (their parents knew and then told them). There isn't any reason to hide (for Lesbians) the use of a donor and that will need to be something that is always mentioned when our children are entering a new relationship. The real problem (IMHO) is when a couple decides to hide Donor Conception from their children or worse when clinics suggest they do this.

The transfer of genetic disorders is scary and something I've had to accept when starting this process. My nephew has special needs and one of the first things done was genetic testing of both parents - that is something DI children will not be able to do. Ironically even with all of this information I chose an anonymous donor after the only ID release donor that met our criteria gave me a bad feeling that I couldn't shake.

I am going to try (unsure if the clinic will let me) to get the empty vial so I can send it to CaBri for the Donor Semen Archive. Being able to do testing in the future seems worthy of the $60/year fee.

I'm Still waiting for my IUI and am feeling very impatient. I'm about a day late now and I'm getting dangerously close to missing an opportunity for a second try in October becuase I'll be away for a few days at the end of the month.

1 comment: