Monday, December 19, 2011

Six Geese a-Laying: Gifts Galore

Last night Sadie and I went to a birthday party for my friends little girl.
On the way there a thought crossed my mind that I was setting myself up to be in a big panic about Christmas.
Why?
I knew my friends daughter had the exact kitchen with the exact Melissa and Doug food we were going to get Sadie, but didn't. I feared Sadie seeing the toys and going crazy for them knowing we had wanted to get them but decided not to. 6 days before Christmas. Gulp.
I knew that walking through the front door of my friends house could cost me $300... not that Sadie has any clue she's about to be showered with brightly wrapped presents. She also doesn't understand the concept of wanting something in the future and not getting it. There would be no tears on Christmas morning over there not being a kitchen yet I would still want to go out and spend that money.
For our family, Santa IS the reason for the season and at times like this I feel a twinge of guilt that I/we don't believe in something deeper.
In the end Sadie didn't give a hoot about the kitchen. She didn't care about the fancy wooden food either. She found a single toy car on the shelf of the toy fridge and THAT is what she wanted to play with.

Crisis averted.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. It's hard when a lot of the wanting is really us wanting to get them everything. But holding back is probably one of the best things we can do for our kids too...

    Also, I found a lot of things I thought Riley'd love when she was younger weren't ever used until she was older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it funny what we think kids will want and what they actually like?! always good when they pick the cheapest option possible :-)

    ReplyDelete