Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Update

Thank you for all of your hugs and well wishes (on FB and here). Sadie is doing better. We're drugging her to the point of loopiness, but no further seizures. Her fever, off meds, continues to be in the 102-103 range. I've take vacation to get me until Monday so I can be home with her to monitor her every move. That's it and it's all we can do in the future: control the fever.
We ended up not going to our pediatrician for the follow-up. At firs it was because we couldn't get in contact with him but then it was because I thought I'd found a better option. To be completley honest, I'm a bit worn thin by doctors right now. I always used to trust blindly but I've certainly asked more questions and doubted more since the issues we had with our fertility clinic. Some doctors are good and othera don't seem to give a shit. The ER doctor we saw on Monday night didn't seem interested in us. I had better feedback from our nurse and paramedic. Scary stuff. So when I finally got through to our ped I started to worry that he'd be flippant about it too. I wanted a second opinion and I could hear him saying it was just something viral. We decided to go to a kids clinic in a hospital (non-emerg) where tests could be done onsite. The Dr. we saw ended up being our ped's medical school teacher and an ER doc from the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. Win-win if you ask me. After an extensive interview and exam he gave us our new medication schedule, explained Febrile Seizures to us and said Sadie was "perfect". That made us feel better. (;
We have a follow-up next week and will only need to go back to the hospital if Sadie still has a fever on Friday morning! FX crossed that we'll be over this by then, otherwise, we're packing our bags and back to the ER!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it. Yes, they are more common than people imagine. Still very scary to experience though, I'm sure. I love getting a good doctor. The ER is hit and miss. And we've had our run in with horrible docs so not all are created equal. ;) Glad you have a good med regime. I remember a doc saying they could be given at the same time and I had no clue that this was true. Sometimes it's the only way to keep that pesky fever down. Hope she feels better soon!!! Poor little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she saw a good doctor. I'm with you - I used to trust doctors too and now I don't trust them more often than I do. I always find myself doubting what they say. I think it's because we read a lot and know too much. :)

    Hope her fever is gone by Friday so you can avoid another ER trip.

    We always alternate Tylenol and Advil for fevers - Tylenol, then 4 hours later, Advil (or Motrin), then 4 hours later, Tylenol, etc. This is what they did with Erik when he was in the hospital too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadie is on both at the same time. 3 ml Advil + 2 ml Tempra, 4 hours later 2 ml Tempra, 4 hours later 3 ml Advil + 2 ml Tempra... Repeat for 48 hours.
    I was nervous at first but that's what the ped said yesterday. The ER had us alternating every 4 hrs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs to you all! Keep asking questions! And keep trusting your intuition! You're her moms and you know her best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, sounds like a good plan for keeping the fever under control. Erik's wasn't that high in the hospital so he was getting regular doses. I do know that we accidentally double-dosed Ian on Tylenol once (mis-communication with my mom) and called Telehealth and they said not to worry because if he had a really high fever, they would give him that much medicine anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a scary experience! So glad she's doing better!

    ReplyDelete