Monday, April 18, 2011

Trust your instincts

In the middle of the night Sadie woke up with a fever. Surprisingly, her first, considering she's had chicken pox, strep throat and a sinus infection. I have always been very lax when it comes to fevers. I can honestly say that I had gone about 9 month without taking her temp and I'd only recently bought a good Braun thermometer.
I could tell she was HOT immediately. Her temp read 102 so I gave her tylenol and we went back to bed. At 5:30 am we woke up with the fever, slightly lower, still there. I gave her more tylenol and then called telehealth (nurse hotline). They assured me she was fine and that i didn't even need to give her meds. So I didn't after the 5:30 am dose.

... and then she had a seizure.

It happened just after she ate lunch. We were snuggling on the couch and she started making a funny noise like she was trying to breathe through her stuffed nose instead of her mouth. I tried to sit her up and my mom started freaking out that she wasn't ok. Her eyes were rolling back in her head and then when I picked her up she went crosseyed and limp. I called 911 and it took (with them here) at least 20-30 min for her to act normal again.
We went to the hospital - 5.5 hours later, we're home again. They said she is fighting something viral and to call 911 everytime she has a seizure (which she'll be more prone to). We're also on our way to her pediatrician tomorrow.
Scariest moment of my LIFE. The crazy thing was that I was going to go to work. I drove D to the train station and then turned around and went home. Something felt "off". Thank god I did. I don't even want to sleep tonight i'm so nervous. I don't like that we don't know what caused the fever. ): My poor sweet boo. I love her more than anything and would die if something happened to her.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

9 comments:

  1. Oh god, I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I have always been scared when my kids have fevers that they'll have a seizure. I think I would freak out.

    My good friend's little girl had one when she was 17 months old. She'd been sick and my friend was driving her home from daycare, looked in the rearview mirror and saw she was having a seizure. She was completely panicked and ran red lights to get to the hospital. It was the same thing as Sadie. She had some testing done and everything was fine. They said sometimes kids' bodies react like that to illnesses. She's 5 now and has never had another one.

    Must have been a terrifying experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that's scary. I'm glad she's better. We have some of the donor half siblings who have had seizures with high fevers. It can be normal with small kids and fevers. And we always medicate if the temp is higher. When a fever gets really bad, you can actually give both Tylonel and Motrin at the same time or within a couple hours of each other. We've had to do that with Riley as she's had a number of episodes of high fevers. I know what you mean--I also don't bother taking their temp but when their fever gets really high, you just know.

    So scary to think of something bad happening to our kids. I'm just glad she's alright and you were there for her. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary for all of you! I had a fever-related siezure once when I was a baby. It only happened the one time and I was totally fine. Still frightening to see and experience, though. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh how scary. Hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.My.God.

    I am at a loss for words. I cannot even begin to imagine how scared you must have been. Give her hugs and kisses from me... and hugs for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh. my. god. how absolutely scary. im glad she is doing better now and hope that was the last time that ever happens. ((()))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rushed over hear after seeing your Facebook status. I would have freaked out!! Hoping that today is a better day. So strange our ped doesn't have his voicemail on. Grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew about this because of facebook, but reading it here made me cry and get choked up. I cannot imagine.the.fear. I am hoping today is better. Our babies are so precious.

    For what it's worth, when I was two the same thing happened to me. I had a 105temp, seized and was rushed to the hospital. Nothing like this has ever happened since. Hopefully it was her body fighting something off and a fluke. Give her hugs from us and chunk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god. I'm so so so sorry - that's so scary. I hope everything goes OK at the doctor today. Good thoughts being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete