Saturday, March 12, 2011

Distraction: Camping and Update

Lately I've been completely obsessed with going camping. I have been to overnight camp but the one I attended was far from rustic. We had an indoor pool with a sauna. I've been to Muskoka but I've only stayed at resorts. I've never camped. Not even when I was a girl guide.
So what's the deal now? I know I'll hate the washrooms and I'll probably be scared out of my mind at night but I want to camp for Sadie. I want to camp for my family to get away from our tech obsessed world. I want nature to be important.
I'm not sure how we're going to accomplish this goal since we have no gear at all, don't know what to buy and have zero knowledge of how to actually camp. One of my mommy groups does an annual camping trip so I think we'll start there. At least we have a house now and can store whatever gear we collect. I think I should start looking at craigslist.
Any tips or advice?

Update on Sadie: Last night was not fun at all. The itch has started and she was miserable for most of the night. I was so tired that I'm positive I slept through some of her fussing because I kept waking to her in odd positions like at the foot of the bed. Her spots have also increased a lot. On day one she had under 10, day two was under 30, and on day 3/4 there are too many to count. They are through her hair all over her scalp, on her bum, lips, ears, crawling up her neck and wrapping around her torso. At first we thought she had a very mild case but now that it has progressed we're hopeful that she's going to be immune. I had the Chicken Pox twice (do not remember at all) and my mom said I was nothing like her. The reality is that she is still pretty good and this could be a lot worse. We're lucky.





ETA: We got out for a walk this afternoon and tried out our new jogger. It was fun! Sadie had a good time with her friends "Big Minnie" and "Big Mickey".



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Poor little girl. I hope she gets past it quickly. Looks like she's got quite a case of it. I imagine it's probably not a fun experience for you guys either. :(

    I want to go camping too but Kim has no interest in it. And she thinks it's weird because I also would be freaking out about creepy crawlies and stuff like that, but I'm still interested in doing it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOOOVE camping!! Pre-baby we would go at least 2-3 times a year. We didn't go last year but plan on going at least once this year. Maybe we can plan a camping rip upstate together this summer??

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about the Chicken Pox!!! :(

    I like camping but no longer enjoy tents. You can rent a Yurt at Algonquin Park so you are camping but don't need any equipment. It is a building that has bunk beds and it comes with a BBQ. It is on a campground site. They are about $90 per night so much cheaper than a cottage and very much like camping. I highly recommend that option because it's easier, especially with a baby. Another option is to rent gear. You can actually rent tents at outdoor shops or you can rent an rv. Camping is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete