In OTHER news, I’ve been thinking about how I can get out and be active. I used to rollerblade EVERYWHERE. I would skate miles to work on a daily basis, I played ice hockey and even as recently as last year I’d walk 2-4 miles with Sadie (going to work with D).
Now we’re in the burbs and we drive everywhere and I’m in the worst shape of my life (The Little Gym wears me out). I also have a hideous flab of yuck above my c-section scar. Google “c-section shelf”. Yep, that’s what I have! I’ve never been skinny but this new roll of fat is not my friend.
Anyway, I feel like I have very few options. Ideally it would be great if I could join a gym at work but for the following reasons I won’t:
1) I don’t want to workout with or near my co-workers
2) I don’t trust gyms and their billing practices (prefer the YMCA) and the only option where I work is “big name” private gym
3) Who are we kidding, I won’t go, I’ll sign up for a $60/month membership and at the end of the year I’ll have gone 2x
The Parks & Rec in our town has a great deal on a swim and fit pass but when would I go? I can’t leave Sadie with my mom longer so I can go work-out? I guess, maybe, if we were to transition Sadie into her toddler bed I could go once she was in bed? But, would I really be going to the gym at 8:00 pm? There doesn’t seem to be enough time in the day.
My last option seems to be finding something I can do with Sadie and this has brought me to looking at bike trailers that convert to jogging strollers. I’d want to use it for both biking and rollerblading. Sadie is inside way too much so I think a nice bike ride after work would do her good.
It’s quiet out in blogland but I’ll pose the question anyway… what are you doing to keep fit? How do you find the time? Are you having a hard time post pregnancy as well?
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
I recently posted about this and I too find it hard to find the time. I won't join a gym because I hate them and I don't want to have more time away from the kids than I already do. We have bikes and a bike trailer that I'd like to use more this spring/summer/fall. Maybe we can meet up for some cool trails sometime.
ReplyDeleteI want to hook up the Wii and get going on that for real this time.
We have a pool so I want to swim more this summer.
I walk the dog and I find that helps.
Public swims can be great. If you have a little one you can always take her on a floatie while you tread water and get a bit of a workout.
Trying to stop snacking a lot at night and just live healthier. Not easy...
ugh, yes (re: having a hard time post-pregnancy). the "i just had a baby" excuse is starting not to apply, so i have started thinking about these things too.
ReplyDeletegoing to a gym is impossible, there just isnt enough (nor would i want to...ugh). a couple of weeks ago, i made a decision to stop snacking at my desk, something i was doing all day long. or, at least to snack on healthy items - no more raiding my co-workers candy dishes. also cut way, way back on sugar in general.
finally, i started walking during lunch. became one of those ladies who don bright white tennis shoes with my suit! :) i can do a 1.5 mile loop around downtown in about 30-45 minutes. it's not super-high intensity exercise, but it beats sitting still ALL day long.
I walk at lunch times like an Offering of Love and I go to the gym at 8pm. Once a week. I put on gym clothes and have my gym things beside the door before I get her ready for bed. Once she is in I head out. No sitting down just for a minute, because it will be game over. I do this once a week and stay at the gym for 45 minutes. It has been great actually. Saturdays I go to yoga and it F sometime alone with Bee.
ReplyDeleteGood luck finding your groove.
I have no groove when it comes to exercising, but I never have. I HATE to exercise and honestly I hate to sweat. I am one of "those" people. I have been able to get even lower than my fertility weight gain and I have mainly done it by eating better because I know I won't exercise! More produce, less process, more organic, etc. To be honest, 9 months after breastfeeding I think it helped my weight loss but I couldn't fit into my pre-chunk clothes for those first 9 months. Now I am a size smaller and I think it is due to my change in eating habits.
ReplyDelete