Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Co-Parents.Net

I somehow ended up at this site tonight and had "fun" reading through some profiles. We have IRL friends who found their sperm donor over a website. They went to his place to do the insemination. Gag. Trying not to judge but I couldn't use an "I don't really know you" donor. I do not see this as the same thing as a KNOWN donor. I could never trust that the donor was "clean" or that his intentions were purely to help a woman conceive. My thoughts would always wander back to him getting off in some way. I mean, why would some random dude really want to help a lesbian with no financial compensation? I'm sure there are some truely remarkable and generous men out there but let's face it, sperm donors get paid money and I have no problem believing that is their motivation to donate.
The site states that it is a dating site for co-parenting and sperm donors (I didn't think dating and sperm donors were related?).
I hope that the women and men using this service understand what co-parenting means. It's kind of inclusively written co-parenting and sperm donation but those are two different things.

My search results (seeking man in Canada) included..

This guy will be your sperm donor but wants to have sex with you:
I am clean, disease free, no drugs and in great health. I prefer natural with total respect.

This guy doesn't have any defects:
I do not believe I have any defects. I do not have a Child; therefore Looking for a that special someone to offer my donation.

This guy is:
sperm donner well hung clean and dd free health sperm

And this guy? I don't even know what to say:
I am an East Indian Professional in Canada looking to co-parent with a Mexican woman who can read & write some English. Other terms can be discussed.

All joking aside, there were some sincere sounding profiles for CO-PARENTING and I'm sure this site works for some people. Our friends have had 2 children with their internet donor. They refer to him as the "dad" and their children know them as that. Totally NOT my thing!!

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I would have to agree- the term coparenting implies that the person is in the life of the child- donor is that they contribute and then move on. . .
    Those ads you posted. . .shudder they seem like really REALLY bad pick up lines. . .with an unexpected twist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'll write a real comment after I'm done laughing about the "well hung" profile...(!!??)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creepy. One thing I've learned, there are a lot of creepy, desperate men on the internet. I once posted a dating profile on a site so we could compare with my male friend who got few hits from women. I had so many emails that I had to take down my profile before going insane. I would never find a donor that way. I agree, I'd rather pay money and get a guarantee that the sperm was screened and that I have no contact with this person. I'd be most concerned about screening for STDs...yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creepy posts, ewww. I would never go this route either, mostly because of the STD thing. It's not worth the risk because you don't know what they're doing or who they're sleeping with even if they are screened and initially STD-free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally a naive midwestern girl... I didn't even know things like this existed! It is freaking me out to think that people are creating families in this way. What do you tell your kid in 18 years? Not my cup of tea. I am happy to pay for processed, clean, unattached swimmers through a third party bank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha! Is the 'well-hung' for your future son's benefit, or yours? ;) Blegh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no. Not my thing at all either. My first thought is that these "let's to it naturally" dudes have had a vasectomy and are using this site to get laid.

    The donor I have chosen for my future child/ren is an ID release donor through a bank. I like that the formalities are clear and I like the third party ensuring anonymity for all parties.

    ReplyDelete