Monday, February 28, 2011

February Sucks!

I seriously couldn’t be happier that tomorrow is March 1st. As stated, February has sucked.
After our stomach flu at the end of last week Sadie came down with a bad case of (TMI) explosive yellow poop and a terrible diaper rash. Telehealth (Nurses hotline) told us it was due to the antibiotics she was on for her sinus infection and strep throat. By the end of the weekend she also had a dripping nose – more snot – but this time it wasn’t yellow (no that’s her poo) so the sinus infection had cleared. Poor kid can’t catch a break! On Monday she started coughing. This was the first time she’s ever had a cough. It was deep and congested sounding. Drip. Drip. Drip. More snot. Cough. Cough. Cough. D and I are currently sick with the same cold symptoms.
Meanwhile my mother had been complaining about a rash on her back and we'd assumed it was from falling asleep on a heating pad. She’d also been complaining that her back, side and legs hurt. She’d been complaining so much that I was getting annoyed wondering what her problem was and how she could be so stupid to sleep with a heating pad. On Tuesday evening I asked to see the rash. I lifted up her shirt and to my horror her skin is covered in little red bubbles/blisters. I had never seen anything like it.
I literally forced her to go the doctor. She actually told me (as I was shoving her out the door) that she doesn’t like to be a complainer. I had to tell her that the rash on her back was the scariest thing I had ever seen in my life and that she had a valid reason to go! She came back with a diagnosis of Shingles. Shingles = Chicken Pox for those who are not immune. Sadie hasn’t had her Chicken pox vaccination yet.
Shingles are painful. All of the complaints were legitimate. My mother has been in a lot of pain and has also had strep and the stomach flu at the same time. Could things get any worse?

……and that is why I’ve been a bad blogger lately. ): We're kinda falling apart!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Oy! February has indeed been a bad month. I hope everyone starts to feel better and that S doesn't get the pox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That's a bad month. If it makes you feel any better, our doctor doesn't recommend the chicken pox shot because they don't have any research on how long it lasts, and getting chicken pox as an adult is much more dangerous than having it as a child. But hopefully Sadie doesn't get it since it sounds like the last thing you need to deal with!

    My grandma had shingles and I caught chicken pox from her - I was 25! Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind if Sadie got Chicken Pox out of this or the very reason you mentioned. I'd read having it was better. The only issue is the bad timing because we're goin away next weekend.
    I wonder if our dr will even offer it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you can't catch a break. We didn't do the shots for our kids either... I had chicken pox twice in my life--both as kids.

    ReplyDelete