Friday, September 4, 2009

Visit to L&D

I've just spent the afternoon at Labor and Delivery and it wasn't for a tour. (Early end of story - I'm FINE) I went in after my nurse asked me to go to get tested to ensure I wasn't leaking amniotic fluid. OMG.
I'm not yet sure where to draw the line on asking questions vs. ignoring my body and if I ever should. For the record, I've only called twice. Once was for a numb spot on my belly (apparently normal) and the second was today when I told the nurse I thought I had a bladder infection. This is one of those times when I wish I could have a midwife. I'm sure it would be much easier communicating with them!! Instead, I get sent to L&D to be poked.
Honestly, I wasn't worried going in because I was certain I was peeing my pants - gotta love the reality of pregnancy. So I took my time and went to Chipotle Mexican Grill for a burrito first. I ate it in the center of Dundas Square while listening to live Cuban Music at the "Viva Cuba" festival and watching fighter jets zooming overhead (practicing for the air show). I was quite content until I saw the television crew (lunch time news) filming and thought that perhaps, since I'd left work, I should pack up and head over to the hospital.
This was my first time seeing the L&D floor and it was very nice and well secured. I had a giddy sense of excitement thinking about being there for delivery. Can December come quickly?
While checking in I had a good laugh as a new dad came out and said that his wife thought "the baby had pooped" and "do we need to change the diaper". Um... yes. The kid is YOURS now! The doctor looked at him and said she was only there up until the baby came out! They did say that someone would be along to help them but I still thought it was funny.
I was ushered to the waiting room for a brief time before I went into triage. They checked the heart rate of the baby by hooking me up to a machine. It was kind of hard to track because she's still so small. She was rolling around in there too so the sound coming out was like a needle being scratched across a record! I had an internal exam (the first since being pregnant) and it hurt so badly. After my 1.5 years of TTC I thought I was a speculum pro but NOT ANYMORE. OUCH. It was so bad I started to cry. A lot. It was pretty pathetic.
After the poking was done the doctor (who was a resident) did a quick scan to make sure the baby was moving fine. Overall she said I'm NOT leaking amniotic fluid and that it is most likely urine as I had suspected. The pain that I thought was a bladder infection may actually be my organs moving around. She asked that I monitor it since it may be an infection but to wait until next week to see how I feel.
So that was my Friday before a long weekend! Exciting!!
I guess you can never be too cautious but that is a scary thing to say to someone like ME. I'll be able to rest easy this weekend knowing we're both ok so that is a very good thing. I'm also happy to have received the attention they gave me. My concern, even though I wasn't really concerned, was taken VERY seriously. They did everything to make sure the baby and I were ok. They even gave me the number to Triage and told me what to watch out for. I was assured that it is OK to come in to get checked out. What a relief. I thought they'd look at me like the pain in the ass that I am but instead they were so welcoming!!

8 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that everything is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the sucky Friday. Glad everything worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes, scary! glad to hear everything is okay.

    btw, this post has done *nothing* to calm my fears about my upcoming internal, the first since being pregnant... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. speaking of bladder infection..i'm getting over one now. i'm glad everything is fine and now you can have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to that everything is okay...but scary nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about the scare, but glad all turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad to hear everything is alright.

    internals HURT. but not if a midwife does it. that is what i found with both pregnancies--no pain with the midwives, even with the membrane sweep. but the minute a doctor performed one at the hospital--PAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm glad everything was ok! thanks for stopping by our blog, the water class is actually just the name of ryan's class. the actual school program is based on the waldorf philosophy. it's outstanding!

    congrats on your pregnancy; i hope you have a very uneventful next few months to a happy and healthy delivery!

    ReplyDelete