We made the decision to openly share the name “Sadie” with our family when we knew that there was little chance it would change. This was a name we’d been talking about for years and once we started calling our babe “Sadie” BEFORE we even knew she was a girl we knew for sure that there was no turning back.
I know most people wait for at least the name to be a surprise (if they’ve found out the sex). I’ve also heard and read so many times that people do not share their name because they do not want the feedback associated with it. I was quite the opposite in that opinion. I was sick of hearing suggestions when we already knew our name!
It turns out that we have had a 98% rate of approval for “Sadie”. It’s interesting to hear how people interpret the personality that goes with the name. My mom said that it is the name of a “very sweet girly girl” where my step-mom said that it is a cute “tomboy name”. My dad sang a song with the name Sadie in it and seemed fairly pleased with the choice.
The 2% disapproval is the funniest thing EVER. Apparently if you were born before 1940 the name “Sadie” causes the “Sadie Snarl”. We first saw this with my Grandmother. Her response was: “Sadie? SADIE? Why would you use the name Sadie? I just don’t know.” I honestly didn’t know what to say to that but it didn’t bother me since everyone else loved the name.
Next up was at my cousin’s baby shower on the weekend when I was speaking to her and grandmother and told her our name. Her reaction was pretty much identical. She had the scrunched up snarling face that made it look like we’d just said we were naming our child “Stinky”. In fact, her response was pretty much verbatim to what my Grandmother had said.
I’m not upset by this. I really wish I knew more elderly women because we’re finding this HILARIOUS!!
Anyway... I need to write about my cousin's shower and catch up on my commenting. I'll have to do that later on tonight.
We are waiting to tell our family because of this same reason. I don't want to hear about it and my family is very opinionated. But, we also have not decided on a name (we are currently in negoiations!) so that helps the process say secret. I may change my mind once we decide, but only time will tell.
ReplyDeleteLOL families are funny. Our first name was Hannah Renee and my MIL said it sounded like "hate" and my mom said Renee sounded like Renie, my aunt who was estranged from the family. Anyway, we decided against the name because it just lost it's cool for us and Hannah was overused at the time. :P
ReplyDeleteSadie is a great name and 98% is very high approval. Let us know when you find out what it is with the oldies and the name Sadie! In Australia there is a song by a singer called John Farnham about Sadie. It's a well-loved Aussie classic in a daggy way and whenever he performs the crowd begs him to sing it and he always refuses!! So hearing that name brought a huge smile to my face.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about what other people think. Everyone (like me) will always put their opinions forward but at the end of the day it must be just the right name for your family because you were both happy with it so early on.
well, the good news is that sadie wont be going to school with anyone born before 1940 - she should be safe from the snarl! :)
ReplyDeletei love the name and think 98% approval is pretty darn good!