A while back I spent a good amount of time researching the popularity of the name "Sadie". I looked in our local classifieds as well as online resources like the US Social Security listing of baby names. Sadie did not make the top 100 list and I only found it once in our local paper as a middle name.
On BabyCenter, however, one user (who wasn't amoung the many who said it sounded like a dogs name) wrote that they thought Sadie was going to be the next "Emma" and quite frankly I'm starting to wonder if that is true.
We're not changing our mind. I could NEVER do that but I didn't want a popular name. D has assured me that IF Sadie does become popular we are likely going to be ahead of the trend. I guess as long as Sadie is somewhat unique in her age group that is OK.
Why am I writing about this today? Well... while sitting with my friend at Subway for lunch I overheard a conversation going on behind us. "They had a baby girl..... Sadie Grace....". I am apparently very protective of that name because I was so upset when I heard it! "Noooooo that's OUR name!!!".
Yes, I know, I cannot stop anyone else from using it. Yet, if it is so unpopular on the baby name lists, why is this the second time I've heard it recently?
Oh well! At least we tried. Unlike my BIL & his dumb wife who haven't yet ventured past the top 1o most popular (actually they hover around #1 for all of their kids).
I'm willing to bet it's like pink flamingos. You don't see a lot of them, but once you start thinking about it, you can't help noticing when they do crop up. You tried! What else can you do? I (obviously) have a "unique" name for which I was not adequately grateful for many years, but now that it is a bit more popular I am always a little offended when someone says, "Oh, my neice/grand daughter/cousin is named that..."
ReplyDeleteWell Riley is supposed to be popular but we never run into kids named Riley.
ReplyDeleteWe do seem to meet some Jacksons here and there though.
Keely - I think I may agree with the Pink Flamingo theory. I keep hearing our boy name too and I swear it is becoming popular but it isn't.
ReplyDeleteStacey - I'm sure I've said this before. Jackson was on our list too but we dropped it becuase we couldn't agree on Jack vs. Jackson. It also seemed very popular HOWEVER I haven't met any IRL. Your Jackson is the closest we know.
We found that with our son Erik too. It's not a hugely popular name and wasn't on the top 100 lists and we didn't hear it much at all after he was born. Now, however, I'm starting to hear it a lot and even met a kid with this exact name and spelling in our town.
ReplyDeleteI've known three Sadies born in the last year, but at the same time, everyone tells the moms how unique and beautiful the name is! And *they* don't know any other Sadies. Perhaps because the name is so unique it stands out as memorable, but is still less common than one might suspect...? Either way, YOU love the name, regardless of how popular it is, and it was your choice because you loved it, not because it was popular.
ReplyDeleteAs an Elizabeth, I love meeting ladies with my same name, it give us a wee bond as it were. However, I have a feeling that Sadie will never reach that level of popularity. Also, never deny the individualizing power of a perfectly-suited nickname.
ReplyDeleteEven if my grandmother hates the name..
ReplyDeleteAnd it becomes popular like "Emma"..
We both still love the name!!
<3 <3
But I think I'll still be pissed off every time I hear of another new Sadie! LOL
i know what you mean about being protective of baby names... I have heard both my favorite boy and girl name used in popular TV shows recently. I don't want people to think I am the baby name stealer!
ReplyDeleteI think Sadie is a nice name.