Friday, May 20, 2011

Do you LOVE your stroller?

I know this is a rather vapid topic considering my recent silence but I need to get back into blogging.

So, do you, have a stroller you LOVE?

I'm asking because we don't love ours, or it's replacement and I'm only so-so about the replacement's replacement. If you're counting, that's three strollers and one 16 month old.

The first stroller, our Peg Perego Pliko Switch, seemed awesome. You could face the seat in either forward or backward direction and the seat was removable so it could be swapped with a carseat. It was awsome when we were using only the base for the carseat. Something that could have been accomplished with a snap-n-go (for less than 1/4 the price). Once the stroller seat was added it was a beast. Too big.


One day last summer I'd finally had enough. I went to Once Upon a Child and bought a Rock Star Baby umbrella stroller on impulse, the Pliko has been in our basement ever since. I think it would be harsh to say I hate this stroller. I just think it's annoying. The buckle bursts into 5 pieces (that Sadie always seems to be sitting on) when undone, the recline makes her slouch and the wheels suck indoors. Nevertheless we've used it - A LOT.



Stroller number three has come to us by way of an awesome deal. We'd been casually looking at strollers and had wanted a new lightweight. We were pretty set on a Joovy Kooper until we saw a Phil and Teds Smart buggy. It's stylish, compact but it's reviews were very mixed if not leaning more towards negative. D fell in love with it yet the basic stroller was $250 and not in stock. I honestly thought it was off our list (too expensive) until D called all excited to say it was on sale at a store in North York. The bundle + accesories for $150! It was a deal that was so good that I had to agree. We got the stroller, a bassinet, travel bag, seat cushion and raincover. Total price before discount, $500. Holy shit. So now we have a 3rd stroller. It's OK but still not our
"dream stroller" but it's fun!



Now our next stroller issue is going to be Florida. We're flying on an airline with strict Gate Check rules and will only allow umbrella strollers. We're going to have to check the Phil & Teds for $50/direction, take the Rock Star or rent from Disney ($13/day). Or maybe we'll just buy a 4th stroller!! Just kidding.


Sort of. (;



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

8 comments:

  1. There are some stroller rental places that are not in the park that you can check out. There are places that rent baby gear in various cities and it would be cheaper than Disney.

    We have a cheap umbrella stroller--pink one.

    The problem with umbrella strollers is they don't do well for napping while out and about but the Disney ones aren't great either--very hard plastic--not very good for handling any baggage--no storing room. I say bring a stroller with you.

    We LOVE our peg pliko pram--it is the best stroller I have ever had. It pushes easily anywhere, folds up compactly, is sturdy and we can even put both kids in if we lay the seat flat. There is a step on the back for Riley to go on. We paid over $500 for it but it was worth it. It's a mighty stroller and well constructed.

    We hate our Peg double stroller. The Aria. It sucks. It trips on big cracks (yeah, that's safe) and is too flimsy. It is really light to push and works well for two kids but it makes me freak about the cracks in the ground. It also doesn't do well for napping kids.

    We have an umbrella stroller from Bonnie Togs. Can't remember the name. It is pretty awesome but your typical umbrella stroller with no storage room at all. I like storage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the one we're borrowing from friends - their Maclaren Techno. It's fantastic, has loads of storage, great recline options... love it. We've also used the Volo, and for a simple umbrella stroller, it's my #1 choice. I hear the Quest and the Triumph (in between those two) are good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey - I don't think they sell the Pram anymore. My co-worker had one and loved it as well. When we bought the switch we should have taken more notice of how big it folded compared to the regular Pliko. At the time the fancy features of the switch were too blinding. (;

    N- the Volo is one we looked at but apparently McLaren no longer has a distributor in Canada. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird, I just searched Pliko Pramette and it came up under the brand "mamas and papas". I thought Pliko was a Peg Perago stroller? I'm confused!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a Chico Liteway and LOVE it. It has the option of 5-point harness or just lap buckle, it has 3 or 4 reclining positions (one of which is a full recline), the basket underneath is spacious, the height is great, and we don't kick the wheels while walking. It's also lightweight and folds easily with one hand. It was one of the best baby purchases we've made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the one we have and it is a Peg. http://lh5.ggpht.com/tzaiyi/R_xu0eBjFEI/AAAAAAAAAN0/0J1NFprPhlU/pliko_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

    We bought it 4 years ago. It can be a pram or switch to a seat with steps on the back for an older child. Awesome. I still use it and it is strong and sturdy--I can put both kids in it at age 4 and 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We two have three strollers! We have our Graco Little Hoot "big" stroller that was a set with our car seat. It has cup holders and lots of storage space, so I use it most when shopping. It reclines and has a cup holder for him too, so it is great for features. I LOVED it when it was new- light weight for a big stroller and one hand collapse. But, the wheels are starting to stick and make noise-annoying. Our second was a cheap umbrella from Babies-R_Us and we used it for a couple of months last fall but at about 9/10 months, chunk honestly outgrew it! His shoulders are too wide and it now just sits in the garage. In March, I was at a consignment sale and found a lightweight Jeep stroller and I really do love it. It has no features (I like cup holders!) but the handle is soft, the triangle cloth buckle fits around chunk's belly and it is an upright fold which is cool and easy to work even if I am holding chunk. And, for $35 it was a steal and totally worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, this post was really helpful because we were trying to figure out whether to bring our mclaren umbrella stroller or our Bob to Disney and it looks like bob wins..

    We LOVE our Bob. It's pretty light, it's easy to navigate even with one hand, it reclines flat, and it opens and closes very easily. It also folds flat, which is a nice feature.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete