OSHA REGULATORY STATUS
This material is considered hazardous under the OSHA Hazard Communications Standard (29 CFR 910.1200).
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS:
a. Silicosis Respirable crystalline silica (quartz) can cause silicosis, a fibrosis (scarring) of the lungs. Silicosis may be progressive; it may lead to disability and death.
b. Lung Cancer Crystalline silica (quartz) inhaled from occupational sources is classified as carcinogenic to humans.
c. Tuberculosis Silicosis increases the risk of tuberculosis.
d. Autoimmune and Chronic Kidney Diseases Some studies show excess numbers of cases of scleroderma, connective tissue disorders, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic kidney diseases and end-stage kidney disease in workers exposed to respirable crystalline silica.
Would you guess that the above text comes from a product labelled as "Play Sand" and/or "Natural Lake Sand"? If you knew this warning BEFORE purchasing the sand, would you buy it? I didn't seek out this info, I found it when I was trying to find sand to fill our new sandbox and apparently in the state of California there is a law to lable carcinogenic products and SAND is one of those products. Of course, this makes me the "paranoid freak parent who is going to deny her daugher a childhood" but I can't take back this knowledge.
The only sand that I've been able to find that seems to be OK is Crayola sand which even in California does not carry the typical warning. It appears that it's been processed in a way that reduces the dust (which is the dangerous part of the sand) significantly, and is asbestos free (yeah, that's in Sand too). It has been lab tested at Duke University to qualify for its safety rating.
So, Pink sand, no sand or Rice. I haven't decided yet.
ETA: This relates to a backyard sandbox. No, I'm not going to keep Sadie away from playgrounds and beaches.
I don't blame you-- I work for a pulmonary medicine society. It is no joke! Go Crayola for making safe sand!
ReplyDeletePer my comment on facebook, have you looked up museum/safe sand? Is it any better? We are thinking about making chunk a sandbox as well so I am curious! I say use the crayola if it is the only safe product. Btw, this is the se reason we have never used baby powder on chunk!
ReplyDeleteI tried to google museum sand but I didn't have any luck. Do you know a brand name? It's hard to know from just looking at a package of sand. You have to go online and look up their MSDS sheet.
ReplyDeleteWe still have bags of sand from the garden center--I will check the name. Unlike the "play sand" that is light and dusty, it is thick and heavy like sand on a beach. It doesn't appear to have been "treated" or anything--could be dredged from the bottom of the lake or canal.
ReplyDeleteWe still have bags of sand from the garden center--I will check the name. Unlike the "play sand" that is light and dusty, it is thick and heavy like sand on a beach. It doesn't appear to have been "treated" or anything--could be dredged from the bottom of the lake or canal.
ReplyDeleteAlso, most things have harmful chemicals from lotion to soap to cleaning supplies. Do you only buy natural products? Just curious.
ReplyDeleteThe issue with the sand isn't chemical related. It's that sand can contain free silica dust, crystalline silica and sometimes asbestos. When the dust is inhaled it can cause scarring in your lung tissue which leads to cancer, etc. Scary stuff and especially scary for young developing lungs.
ReplyDeleteI was really upset when I read this because it just sucks the fun right out of having a sand box. I mean, we pay a home inspector to make sure our homes are
asbestos free and then we put a box of it (or silica) in our backyard for our kids to play in and no one warns us? F'd up if you ask me. I think the only reason there is any awareness of this is California putting warning stickers on the bags.
And I know few things are really safe but once you know something it's hard to move forward without trying. I steam our floors, use green cleaning products (method brand) and Sadie's bath products are all Live Clean brand. That said, we got a bunch of J&J at my baby shower and we didn't throw it out. We're using it.
ReplyDeleteAlso, since pregnancy no candles, room
sprays, scented oils - all gone. That stuff makes your air toxic.
We try.