sensitive topic.
Fucking formula.
We had to drive into the city today to buy more. As usual it was a hassel because the brand I use is always sold out and today was no exception. We did our grocery shopping, I fed Sadie in the store, and then we checked out.
This is when I was accused TWICE of stealing formula because I had my used canister in the basket under my stroller. At the cash register the cashier received a phone call instructing her to check. I told her it was mine and said they didn't even have any on the shelf for sale. I was then made to open the canister. I did. I was pissed off but fair enough. This is when I became livid. Not twently steps from the cashier I was stopped by a plain clothes security gaurs who asked me if "I forgot to pay for something". Again, open up the canister, which had a walmart sticker on it, and show it was empty. Again stating they didn't even have that formula on the shelf for sale. I asked to speak to the manager who refused to apologise because he said I was never accused of stealing. Right.
We returned $150 worth of groceries to that store. Over a $24.99 can of formula that they couldn't have sold me to begin with.
We're now at Walmart, our third stop looking for formula, and they have it. They always do because poor people like me feed their babies formula and apparently also often steal it.
BF moms can bring their breasts with them to feed their baby on demand but when I bring my baby's food into a store I get treated like a criminal.

-- Post From My iPhone
Wow, that's crazy. As if you'd be so bold as to steal it and not even bother to hide it, just leave it in plain view where everyone can see it. LOL.
ReplyDeleteWhat kind of canister was it? The big powder ones or the small ready-made bottles? This never happened to us but we use powered and we have an Avent thing that you can carry three servings of formula in.
It was the actual big canister of formula and exactly as you said - boldly in plain sight beside a half empty baby bottle. I wasn't trying to hide anything because I had nothing to hide.
ReplyDeleteI'm just so sick of being treated this way with formula. In downtown Toronto it is mostly kept behind the counter and you have to ask for it. Once I was leaving walmart and the alarm went off (you know they never care) but I had formula cans in my arm so security came running. My friend offered up her receipt and they flatly said they ONLY cared about my items.
I do have the avent dispenser but I
mostly use pre-mixed cans when I'm out when I'm lazy I grab the canister. I've NEVER been accused of shoplifting before. It felt awful and was humiliating.
i dont think you are overreacting, i would have been pissed as hell too.
ReplyDelete((()))
You have every right to be pissed. I would be.
ReplyDeleteI think it sucks to be questioned but they were doing their jobs. It's behind the counter now in Toronto because people were stealing it. Formula is probably one of the most expensive items in a grocery store. I don't think it was unfair for them to check that you were not stealing it.
ReplyDeleteBut twice within about 10 minutes? Who called on the phone? Why did security then have to chase me
ReplyDeleteout the door after I'd already been checked? And why didn't he ask to see my receipt vs asking if I'd forgotten to pay for something? He had know way of knowinf o hadn't. I mean, if he'd been watching me go through the cash he would have seen me already searched. Handled completely wrong.
If it is being stolen, put security tags on it like at Walmart. Put it behind the counter like at Shoppers. Don't harass customers who need to fees their baby. Don't accuse them of stealing a product they didn't even have for sale on their shelf.
The first time I experienced the formula lockup (one of our local stores keeps it in a repurposed cigarette case), I burst into big ugly tears. Not only did I feel terrible about my supply issues and having to use formula, I had never imagined that parents would find themselves so desperate that they'd need to steal the stuff. It breaks my heart.
ReplyDeleteThe way they chose to treat you is terrible, and I'm glad that you spoke to the manager. It's too bad that he couldn't just apologize. What would that have hurt? Regardless, it's a good thing that you returned the $150 worth of groceries. That's what they lose when they treat legitimate shoppers like criminals.
I wonder if you could find your preferred formula online, thus bypassing much of the BS and stocking challenges? Then you could write a letter to your local grocery stores telling them that they would have had your formula business, but couldn't keep up with ____.com and thus lost a weekly sale.
Sorry that happened to you. I wish you didn't have to deal with any of this!
That sounds awful! I think projectkjetil hit the nail on the head when she identified that the anger was both about being treated as a criminal but also about her own feelings in regards to supply/needing to use formula in the first place. I wonder if that's true for you as well?
ReplyDeleteRegardless, online buying is a great idea! We buy diapers on amazon.com because they have waaaay better prices (especially with the "subscribe and save" discount) and deliver for free. Diapers.com is great too!
Either way... good luck. Hope live in the new house is lovely!