A December mom just posted a pic of her son chewing on a steak bone!!
It was under the heading "what do you feed your baby" and the responses varied from purees to Mr. Rib Eye who took top prize for OMG that seems so WRONG.
Sadie is so so far behind.
She isn't picky, she just doesn't care. Everything is more interesting (and tastier) than eating, especially things like her socks or her bib. Sticking her finger in her mouth or up her nose is also a fun meal time activity.
Over the last few weeks we've really picked things up. I can't buy our frozen organic purees here so we've switched to organic jarred. I think she likes it better which is pretty ironic considering I was so hell bent on NOT using jarred. Do you know how much that frozen stuff cost? Pretty much $1/tbls. I also didn't really want to load her up with a bunch of cereal but she eats it and that's the ultimate goal. Get her to swallow and then switch it up. I was holding back so much at first but I think we're both getting the hang of this. I'm still waiting every 3 days to introduce new foods though. How long does that last because this is turning into a long process!
Right now Sadie is eating as follows:
Breakfast: 8 oz bottle
Lunch: Cereal with fruit or veggie and 6 oz bottle
Dinner: Cereal with Fruit or veggie and 6 oz bottle
Bed: 8 oz bottle
+ Sadie has been getting up in the night AGAIN and is taking another 8 oz (not every night)
She's eating: Rice Cereal, Pears, Banana, Blueberry, Carrots, Peas, Green beans, Avacodo, and Sweet potato.
We've tried Baby Mum Mum's but 90% is spit out with a slight favour for Banana flavour.
We've tried Turkey and it was expulsively rejected. Poor Sadie.
Tomorrow is a new food day and I think we'll try corn. Rib Eye steak will be in a few YEARS! Seriously. These women want their kids to grow up too quickly!

-- Post From My iPhone
LOL People are strange!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like it's going alright. Riley was a really picky eater and still is. Jackson ate it all.
Have you thought of one of those mesh things you can put some fruit in for her to gnaw on?
Banana is easy to just mush yourself or some people like doing big chunks of fruit (too big to swallow) that they can gnaw on.
Early on with both kids I found giving them their own spoon was awesome--they tried to do it themselves and allowed me to feed them. Jackson used to grab the spoon so this helped.
First baby you're more cautious and slow. Second baby it's easier and less worrisome. ;)
wow, yeah the rib eye is a bit much! Have you tried making your own food?! It is super easy and cheap! Get a bag of carrots peel and cook them. Puree or mash with a potatoe masher and waaalaah! Carrots galore!
ReplyDeleteSadie is so adorable, I just love her little cubby cheeks.
That steak bone thing is crazy! That does seem wrong. LOL.
ReplyDeleteI can't remember when we stopped doing the new food every three days thing but probably around 8 months with Ian. Maybe not even that long. I know by about 10 months we were starting to give him whatever we were having but we'd grind it up into a puree (we have this cool mini-grinder food processor thing that is perfect.) He choked more than Erik did and was on the mushy stuff longer but by a year both our kids were eating whatever we were eating for dinner. Now we can give Ian his own plate of food cut into small pieces and he feeds himself. He's also interested in using a spoon but hasn't figured it out yet.
The mesh bags Stacey mentioned were awesome for Erik but Ian didn't like them at all.
Also, one thing I really noticed with Ian is that he was *so* picky - all he would eat was fruit and his formula. Then he turned a year old and we took him off formula and he started eating *everything*. I think the formula fills them up so they don't really need much else. Eating at this age is just practice. So you may notice a difference once Sadie's old enough to make the switch to regular milk. Ian's appetite improved so much after the formula was gone, I couldn't even believe we didn't have a picky eater after all!
Chunk loves food and we have never had a problem. You may want to hold off on corn because the starchy food is hard for their tummy to digest. Maybe try carrots, squash or did you already try sweet potatoes? Cannot remember your list. I also agree that making your food is easier and cheaper. I make all of chunk's food, except what he eats at daycare and that is jarred organic. You can peel and bake almost any fruit or veggie and puree. EASY!
ReplyDeleteI am on team make-your-own-food! It's so easy and cheap! Just steam the fruit/veggie, mash or blend and put in ice cube trays. When frozen, pop them out and store in freezer bags. 30 seconds in the micro and, voila! :)
ReplyDeleteWe usually buy a whole bunch of stuff and go nuts filling up the freezer with carrots, peas (use dried split peas.. no skins!), peaches, canteloupe, pasta (tiny kinds, like pastina or orzo), banana, avocado... we've also done chicken, apple... the list goes on and on!
We hardly ever give Ryan cereal. We mainly just use it to thicken loose foods like peaches or canteloupe.
:)
oh my goodness! i cannot imagine handing my baby a bone to gnaw on! eck!
ReplyDelete