Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Baby proofing

I'm still up north but I'm planning on returning home, hopefully, next week.
Since the major reno has almost been completed we are going to start making our new house our home. Part of that will be Baby proofing.
There are a lot of products out there and big money could be spent. Just throwing this out there wondering what others are doing?
The good news is that 100% of the outlets in our house are tamper proof thanks to the re-wire. Don't say we didn't get our money's worth out of that 14k job. lol
We know we need at least one baby gate for the top of our stairs (down) on the main floor. We'll likely get a second for the stairs down to the basement once Sadie is walking and may come in the front door on her own. Until then the main floor gate covers that risk.
We're also thinking of gating off the kitchen so Sadie will have the run of the living room, dining room and hall without worrying about kitchen hazards.
We want to make the house safe without going overboard. Afterall, Sadie will be cared for in our home while we are at work. She'll be spending a lot of time in the house!
We're pretty much starting from scratch so if anyone has products they love, please let us know.

Btw, in response to my previous entry - I'm still angry about it. However you're right that part of my issue is that I still, 8 months later, am completely heartbroken that I was unable to BF Sadie. I hate formula. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. It embarasses me that I have to use it because I think people judge women who do not BF. Being chased out of a store and being accused of stealing is just icing on the cake.


-- Post From My iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Don't be embarrassed about using formula. You're feeding your baby, there's nothing embarrassing about that. People who judge you for not breastfeeding are at the extreme side of the breastfeeding issue. Some people just couldn't do it, just didn't want to do it, or didn't do it for any number of other reasons. It's the same as anything else, you made a decision based on what was going to work for you and your baby and it doesn't matter what other people think of it. Bottom line is, your baby is being fed and is thriving.

    As for babyproofing... we let our kids roam in the kitchen, but all sharp knives etc. are kept up on the counter out of reach and the cupboards with dangerous stuff (like cleaning products and our pots and pans cupboard where we also keep the food processor and blender with sharp blades) have baby locks on them. We keep a couple of drawers and a cupboard accessible to them to play in. One is our Tupperware cupboard and one is the drawer with measuring spoons, measuring cups, etc. It's a pain because we have to wash anything we want to use from those drawers before we use it, but it's fun for them to have access to kitchen stuff when they want to play with it or "help" with dinner.

    I'm sure you know this but one thing I would suggest is to make sure things like bookshelves are screwed to the wall because she will most likely try to climb them at some point and if they're not attached they could fall over on her.

    As for products, I love our gates. I can't remember what brand they are, but they're wooden ones from BRU. I'll check the brand tomorrow. When Kim's brother and his wife were adopting and had their home study, these were the gates the CAS recommended and they are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as proofing, we will use the outlet covers, cabinet locks for kitchen cabinets, bump guard around fireplace edge, 2 baby gates (we have a split level)...not sure what else. We haven't done anything yet because he is not mobile, but we are also teaching him "no" and "gentle" so that we don't have to move everything...I want him to learn as well as baby proof.

    As far as bf'ing, don't beat yourself up! You gave a valent effort and ended up doing the best thing for you both. You cannot help it. It is not that you are lazy or selfish. Give yourself some love because you love and do the best for your child. I strongly believe in bf'ing, but not everyone can do it. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete